My new Rockport Atrias!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Agree with John
Why open up anything. Just enjoy the music and count our blessings that we can do so

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Just enjoy the music and count our blessings that we can do so

Big +1 Sunnyboy1956. Every time i look at your equipment list, i really have to say...i would love to hear your mighty Wavacs, CJ GAT, Rockport combination. You know, I was very, very close to getting Wavac 833 v1 for my X1/Grand Slamms many years ago. It came down to 3 options: Lamm ML2.2 monos, Gryphon Antileon and Wavac 833v1. I had each available at that time. I cannot imagine i would not have been extraordinarily happy with any of these.

In the case of the ML2.2s it came down to long-term flexibility in case i went with different, more difficult to drive speakers. The Wavacs have no coverage here, and that concerned me in terms of repairs. Gryphon is HQ'd within an hour's flight, and fortunately, have looked after me so well, i ended up upgrading to Colosseum when a 2nd hand pair came along and i was able to sell my Antileon (for more than i paid for it.).

Nevertheless...i still wonder how 833s must sound (i have only heard the 805s and not in a system i knew well)...and particularly your v2.

Last edited:

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Lloyd
Excellent post. You are most welcome to visit.
I guess there are many roads to sonic bliss and all that matters is that you reach your gaol. The Wavacs are truly special and I am blessed to own them. Can't think of any other amp I'd rather own. Off course I have not heard every amp out there. In my case it really boils down to what a SET amp can do in comparison to a push pull design. There is no spliting or recombination of the signal. There is a tonal purity and texture which is mesmerising. Off course if I owned the Gryphons or the Lamms I would wax equally eloquent.
Cheers and hope to see you in my listening room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd
Excellent post. You are most welcome to visit.
I guess there are many roads to sonic bliss and all that matters is that you reach your gaol. The Wavacs are truly special and I am blessed to own them. Can't think of any other amp I'd rather own. Off course I have not heard every amp out there. In my case it really boils down to what a SET amp can do in comparison to a push pull design. There is no spliting or recombination of the signal. There is a tonal purity and texture which is mesmerising. Off course if I owned the Gryphons or the Lamms I would wax equally eloquent.
Cheers and hope to see you in my listening room.

Thank you! That is most kind, and in the near future we may just do that. My wife and I have been blessed to see some beautiful and exotic parts of the world, and we have spoken about going to see Agra and Jairpur this year or early next. (Or perhaps i should say, we have discussed going to hear CJ GAT/Wavacs 833v2 and Rockports this year or next...and thought we might drive by the Taj Mahal on the way! :)!!! )

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
...we have discussed going to hear CJ GAT/Wavacs 833v2 and Rockports this year or next...and thought we might drive by the Taj Mahal on the way! :)!!! )[/QUOTE]
Love it. I know this probably sounds like heresy but the Taj, at least for me, was a trifle disappointing purely in terms of size. I always visualised it as a huge colosseum. It's actually a wee bit small but the architecture and marble inlay is exquisite .
Looking forward to your visit

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I am also considering the Atria. But would also like to hear from folks what is the difference between the Atria and the Avior. The Atria is a newer model, so I was wondering if there is a difference in sound, beside those purely attributable to a difference in size between the two models, like bass and soundstage

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am also considering the Atria. But would also like to hear from folks what is the difference between the Atria and the Avior. The Atria is a newer model, so I was wondering if there is a difference in sound, beside those purely attributable to a difference in size between the two models, like bass and soundstage

You'll notice the bass but also the weight on in the notes in the mids. I think it really depends on your room size. I've heard both at my dealer. They are both awesome speakers and I think which one does best is really dependent on your room.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
You'll notice the bass but also the weight on in the notes in the mids. I think it really depends on your room size. I've heard both at my dealer. They are both awesome speakers and I think which one does best is really dependent on your room.
My room is 17' x 20' x 8.5'. I am guessing ok for Atria. Not sure about Avior. I am also curious whether the Avior will be updated any time soon since it has been around quite a few years. The more recent Rockport starts to use aluminium.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
My room is 14'x23'x10' and the Aviors blend in smoothly. I suspect the Atrias would work better in a smaller room. Your room dimensions may be better suited to the Aviors, just my 2 cents

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My room is 14'x23'x10' and the Aviors blend in smoothly. I suspect the Atrias would work better in a smaller room. Your room dimensions may be better suited to the Aviors, just my 2 cents

+1

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
My room is 17' x 20' x 8.5'. I am guessing ok for Atria. Not sure about Avior. I am also curious whether the Avior will be updated any time soon since it has been around quite a few years. The more recent Rockport starts to use aluminium.

Spoke to Andy about this, he says not in the immediate future. Atleast 5 years.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Atria II was just introduced at CES. Perhaps Avior next?

Hi,

I read that too when I was following the stereophile coverage of CES 2017. In my view, high likelihood of Avior II as essentially they are cut from the same cloth.
The big question for me is whether the new waveguide can be retrofitted and that too without having to cart it all the way back to Maine. Looks unlikely again given that it may not be such a simple job owing to crossover changes that may be warranted to adjust for the increase in efficiency!

Let's wait and see.....unless someone here already knows what's afoot.

Cheers

Sujay

MagicOfMusic

Jan 25, 2016
Imho for sure try Echole. Echole Signature is already amazing. Of course Omnia and the more recent Echole Limited Edition are top of the food chain. Look at all the sound of the show Rockport has accumulated in recent years using Echole. At the last Munich show with the Integrated Absolare amo, the Altair 2 was wired with Echole Omnia on the inside (from factory). Actually everyone who has done this (I know 4 people at least) can confirm that the Rockport becomes even better (notice I say even better, because standard Rockports are already amazing).

Transparent is very good, but not at the same level imo.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Mikeylee

Jan 1, 2016
Arizona
I have a pair of Rockport Atrias being delivered and set up this Sunday! ;). My room is 15'x22' and I will be driving them with a McIntosh MA-6600 integrated amp (200 watts solid state). My dealer was able to let me hear them in a similar living room and with components reasonably comparable to mine. The Atrias sound was best described as beautiful...WOW and beautiful. I anxiously await Sunday!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very fun and exciting, Mikey! Congratulations!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a pair of Rockport Atrias being delivered and set up this Sunday! ;). My room is 15'x22' and I will be driving them with a McIntosh MA-6600 integrated amp (200 watts solid state). My dealer was able to let me hear them in a similar living room and with components reasonably comparable to mine. The Atrias sound was best described as beautiful...WOW and beautiful. I anxiously await Sunday!!

Congrats...if its the Rockport guys in Arizona that I am thinking of, they are gentlemen and scholars of great audio. Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing