Multichannel DACS: ESS Sabre ES9008S versus ES9038PRO

Roborad

Aug 16, 2020
I have been interested in updating the DACS in my multichannel system as the DACS in my Classe SSP-800 are probably becoming somewhat outdated. The two multichannel DACs that I have interest are the ones in the exaSound E38 Mark II and the significantly more expensive Merging + NADAC. The exaSound uses a higher rated DAC: ES9038PRO than the more expensive Merging + NADAC: ES9008S. I realize implementation is a factor but am wondering if the less expensive exaSound E38 Mark II would have an edge based on the quality of DAC. Has anyone had experience with both or have an opinion if there would be a significant impact on sound quality. Could the quality of implementation outweigh a lower rated DAC in this case? Below is the information on the ESS website concerning their individual DACS. Thanks for any input!

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.12.16 PM.png

Roborad

Aug 16, 2020
Thanks, Kal! I had thought about the Okto but have not seen any "mainstream" reviews yet (of course, you would know on whose review we are all waiting!).
As always Kal, thanks for all you do for the multichannel community!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
1. The chips, themselves, are not definitive. The implementation is.
2. Add to your list, the Okto DAC8 Pro. It is limited to 24/192 and to DSD128 but is otherwise an appealing alternative.

Kal - do you use this yourself and if so what did you compare it to? Also are you using mch dacs in the context of your stereo system or home cinema?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal - do you use this yourself and if so what did you compare it to?
I bought one to try it. Compared to my exaSound e38/II.
Also are you using mch dacs in the context of your stereo system or home cinema?
In my (non-)stereo system.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I bought one to try it. Compared to my exaSound e38/II.
In my (non-)stereo system.

How did it compare to you ExaSound?

In your “non-stereo” system - is this for music and how are your configuring?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How did it compare to you ExaSound?
No comment.

In your “non-stereo” system - is this for music and how are your configuring?
NYC system
DACs: exaSound e38/II (via USB or LAN), Okto DAC8 Pro (via USB
Control: Coleman 7.1SW
Amps: 3 x Benchmark AHB2 (mono) for L/C/R, McCormack DNA1, Rev. A for SL/SR (Also 3 x Classe Sigma Mono for backup)
Speakers: 3 x Revel Studio2 for L/C/R, 2 x Revel f206 for SL/SR, 3 x JLAudio f110/e110 subs
Oppo 105 for ripping via LAN but also playable via Parasound P7, rarely

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing