Mullard EL34 FX1 Versus FX2

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Regarding Mullard NOS EL34s what are sonic pros and cons and the reliability pros and cons of FX1s versus FX2s?

Thank you.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Fwiw Ron, a friend with a Leben amp who already owns both Mullard xf1 and also the metal base philips feels his new sophia aqua el34 sounds better.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is interesting. Thank you.

You know I always reply with what does "sounds better" mean?

Does it have a richer, more emotionally-engaging midrange than the NOS Mullards? Or does it have more "extended frequency extremes" which I don't care for?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
But Jeff Day doesn't seem to describe the differences he hears in sound characteristics between the two EL34 tubes.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Mark!

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
Hi Ron, The Mullard EL34 XF1 have four versions and the XF2 also have a few different structure as well, rather to compare them I think it will be better to get the best sounding one. I prefer the Big Brown base over all the others include the Metal one
Regards
Adrian 2s3DO3Z.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron, The Mullard EL34 XF1 have four versions and the XF2 also have a few different structure as well, rather to compare them I think it will be better to get the best sounding one. I prefer the Big Brown base over all the others include the Metal one
Regards
Adrian View attachment 117750

Thank you, Adrian! Why do you prefer the "Big Brown base over all the others include the Metal one"?

What differences in sound do you hear between the big brown base version and other versions?

If I were to ask you "which version has the most warmth and "midrange magic" without adding any brightness or "extension" in the high frequencies" which type would you pick?

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
Thank you, Adrian! Why do you prefer the "Big Brown base over all the others include the Metal one"?

What differences in sound do you hear between the big brown base version and other versions?

If I were to ask you "which version has the most warmth and "midrange magic" without adding any brightness or "extension" in the high frequencies" which type would you pick?
Hi Ron, if you want some midrange magic I will say these Big Brown XF1 will do the job. I like the Dark Brown base because it sounds more dynamic and power base , also the rhythms is the best of all Mullard made EL34s. 282019141_5205626756180449_2698872938313692747_n.jpg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve tried hundreds of tubes so far , in various amps and lampi dacs.
el34 tubes I feel are very fast sounding tubes over all.
There sound varies greatly in a few ways
Various levels of warmth up to neutral
Top end varies too more or less ambience
Any el34 is a dual Pentode meaning two se pentodes per tube.
There purpose was for power output but they can be topology wise configured in other ways aside of power output methods
Some say the single ended pentodes sound best and as I’ve tried them in ways they are
it’s old school tech using now cheap nos tubes most don’t know exist or care to use
The dual pentode was a cheaper el34 tube.
rarely is cheaper better in manufacturing.
lastly while some brands , styles and materials used
Matters.
Many nos are rebranded and makes them even more confusing and known names more expensive
The sound we end up hearing is more likely design topology then brand design
If anyone looked up these tube specs you could read how close most all are and difference between them is more then just brand it’s design in totality
Over all most look others to lead them to the sound they want.
This helps but also misleads as we each have preferences

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing