MSB Universal Transport Plus

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
Hi, new to the forum, found it looking for information on computer audio, digital audio etc. I recently purchased MSB Analog DAC, upgrade power supply and just got the Universal Media Transport Plus. I would like to hook up a computer/server and run it through the UMT+ and not the USB straight into the DAC using JRiver. Anybody with this transport do something similar. Any guidance would be appreciated.

serum

Feb 27, 2014
You would need to hook up your UMT+ to the Analog DAC with the I2s cable for the optimum link. Then the UMT would link to a NAS/computer with a ethernet cable. You could control the app for playback via an ipad.It is a good combination.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
+1

There is another approach one can use with the UMT Plus. You can store your music files (of all resolutions) on a FAT32 formatted USB disk and plug that directly into any of the UMT Plus USB inputs. You need to attach a monitor to HDMI output of the UMT Plus to navigate with the remote. You can then select files to play directly off of the USB hard disk with no computer involvement. I play back downloaded dsf files and ripped SACD dsf files this way. The advantage in my experience is that the files from the USB disk are being streamed to the UMT Plus and then get to take advantage of the MSB Pro I2S interface and clock synch with my Diamond DAC. The results are excellent and I can't distinguish any differences in SQ from spinning the disk in the drawer.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You don't need to hook up the monitor to access local files (or network). You can use Oppo's iPad/iPhone app for that.

That said, I *don't* recommend you go that route, as the software (both the iPad's and Oppo's, built into the MSB) is very buggy.

I understand MSB knows this, and are about to release a full streamer module for their DACs, starting with the Analog DAC. With that module, you'll be able to access your files off a NAS, and use any UPNP/DLNA software to control it. I also heard this will be available this year, for a reasonable price.

alexandre

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
rsorren1, great advice. I ran out and got a 128GB flash drive and loaded up a DSD, a 96/24 and a redbook CD. All played flawlessly, in their native rates and sounded brilliantly. Very nice and makes me very happy. This can really reduce the amount of gear, clutter and other stuff in the music room. Thanks again.
David

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
rsorren1, I now have two 128GB flash drives and a nice Lacie 1TB drive. One of the problems I am running into is managing the large library of music. The oppo interface is not so user friendly, not bad and I can live with it until something better comes along but I can see where it can get a little difficulty with a few thousand albums downloaded. What have you done to manage your music library using this approach. thanks.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
rsorren1, I now have two 128GB flash drives and a nice Lacie 1TB drive. One of the problems I am running into is managing the large library of music. The oppo interface is not so user friendly, not bad and I can live with it until something better comes along but I can see where it can get a little difficulty with a few thousand albums downloaded. What have you done to manage your music library using this approach. thanks.

David, I have a 1TB WD My Passport plugged into the MSB UMT Plus USB port. I only use the approach discussed above for SACD (dsf/dff) playback. The USB hard drive only has my ripped SACDs (about 100) and about 25 downloaded dsf files. All PCM files are stored on my computer and I use MacBook Pro->Amarra/iTunes->USB->MSB Diamond DAC for playback. The Oppo interface is not very good and there really isn't anything we can do until either MSB puts out controller software or Oppo upgrades theirs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing