MSB Diamond DAC and Universal Media Transport

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
the MSB Universal Transport is a super-hot rodded Oppo Blu-Ray player...with separate powersupply, new buffer, and other things...i'm no techie. Bottom line, it should do everything an oppo can do...which should include dvd-a, blu-ray, cd, sacd...and because it is proprietary out to its own DAC...i believe the i2s should take the sacd signal too...please check on this, but it should work since its effectively remaining encrypted. I know you said no sacd, but it is part of the UMT.

AFAIK, the UMT outputs always PCM, and SACD is converted to PCM before going to the DAC through their proprietary connector.
Anyway, MSB was listed among those producers which are agreeing on a common platform to stream native DSD, so something may change...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Bruce,

Since I have no DSD..all pcm, I suppose the MSB is the way to go. Any idea on real pricing...ie average % off of msrp listed on their site ?

Bruce...you have the Diamond DAC lV ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce,

Since I have no DSD..all pcm, I suppose the MSB is the way to go. Any idea on real pricing...ie average % off of msrp listed on their site ?

The most I've heard from regular folk is about 5-10%... not much. Dealers pretty much stick close to MSRP! Not much markup.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The MSB Diamond is the best PCM I've heard and the Playback is the best DSD I've heard... .that's why I have both! :D

JA's measurements of the Playback SACD player said the noise floor was so high that it wasn't capable of resolving what DSD can do?

Andreas Koch didn't refute the measurements in his letter to the editor.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
JA's measurements of the Playback SACD player said the noise floor was so high that it wasn't capable of resolving what DSD can do?

Andreas Koch didn't refute the measurements in his letter to the editor.

Guess that's why I could care less about measurements... all I care about is what it sounds like!!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So bruce...you have the DAC4 Diamond and the Fempto Clock ? :confused:

and the Platinum Studio ADC with Femto clock and Diamond base ... .about 40k ea! Actually the Diamond Base will power 2 units. Vince also gave me an upgraded power connector.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi Lloyd and Chris,

I know that we talked a little about the MSB setup on my audiogon system page but now that have read this thread, there is a bit more info to clarify.

The current MSB UMT transport is based on the OPPO 95 not the OPPO 93. Bruce is right that with the Diamond power supply, it is capable of powering both an MSB DAC and any of the MSB transports. However, inside of that power supply, they use a linear power supply for the DAC and a switching power supply for the transport. The pin connectors on the supplied "power cables" are different between the DAC's and the transports. Starting in January of this year, MSB introduced their Signature CD transport and corresponding Signature Transport power supply. The Signature transport power supply is a dedicated linear power supply for their transports (it can only power one transport) but it is a very nice sonic improvement over using the switching power supply in the diamond power base (I did this comparison in my system). In addition, the Signature transport when used with the MSB DAC (in my case the Diamond DAC with Galaxy clock) and using MSB's newer Pro I2s interface (via a CAT 6 cable) provides a clock sync function from the DAC back to the transport. The clock sync feature is not available on the Platinum CD transport or the UMT. Again, another nice sonic improvement. From a PCM point of view, the Signature transport is definitely better sounding than the UMT as I have done this comparison in my system as well. On the other hand, the UMT will play any type of disc that you want.

Hope this helps,

Arnie

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Question for the MSB owners:

What filter do you use? And which one of the resampling options?
Also, any compared the UMT x Signature Transport? I've ordered the UMT, but from what I'm reading now, it seems I should just keep the Signature Transport that's already here...

thanks,
alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Question for the MSB owners:

What filter do you use? And which one of the resampling options?
Also, any compared the UMT x Signature Transport? I've ordered the UMT, but from what I'm reading now, it seems I should just keep the Signature Transport that's already here...

thanks,
alexandre

I have spoken with an owner of Rockport Arrakis IIs, serious amplification and full MSB Platinum, Femto, Signature AND UMT...he said Signature transport clearly wins on Redbook...but i think he also said it is possibly better to play SACD back on UMT thru MSB Platinum/Femto.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing