Most accurate clock to date - strontium-based

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Only months after the ytterbium clock we now have a clock that "is so precise it would neither gain nor lose one second in about 5 billion years, if it could operate that long. (This time period is longer than the age of the Earth, an estimated 4.5 billion years old.)"

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div689/20140122_strontium.cfm

And while science has made such gigantic leaps, it has been reported that audiophiles still debate whether RBCD offers adequate dynamic range; had the CD originally been spec'd with 24 bits, said audiophiles would cry foul, seeking to have it reduced to 16.

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I used to work at NIST in gaithersberg Md. They are alway pushing the envolope. David Berning may still be an employee there if he has not retired. Attached is the new clock, I think we we all ned this forour systems. new cd clock.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
DG and Philips argued hard with Decca when they merged whether to use 14 bits (which DG and Philips wanted) or 16 bits which Decca wanted. In the end Decca won.

I notice that all the very expensive Swiss watches are mechanical, trying for $1000's to get as accurate as my $8 quartz watch from Walmart.

Larry

PS. The earth will probably be around for more than 5 billion years more, so the Strontium clock will be off by more than 1 second by the time the Sun is a red giant and the earth is no more.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used to work at NIST in gaithersberg Md. They are alway pushing the envolope. David Berning may still be an employee there if he has not retired. Attached is the new clock, I think we we all ned this forour systems. View attachment 13670

I presume everything is custom-designed to super high mil-spec x 1000000, so that's good. But...
...Is this point to point wired? did they put it on an active isolation platform? Is it shielded with Stillpoints ESS paper? Did they paint all the key parts in black marker? Did they use 24 kt gold? Do they have separate dedicated power supplies feeding this? Is it grounded with silver grounding cables that are 99.999999999999999% pure?... ;)

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
did they put it on an active isolation platform. ;)

Well, almost! :cool: Here is what they did for Isolation at the facility I worked at. They had to go this this three levels of isolation system to remove the road vibrations from interstate 270 that is 2 miles away. nist.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, almost! :cool: Here is what they did for Isolation at the facility I worked at. They had to go this this three levels of isolation system to remove the road vibrations from interstate 270 that is 2 miles away. View attachment 13688

Now THAT is cool! Cannot wait to see someone implement something like this in their own home someday...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing