Moneyball

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I didn't see this film in the theaters but did last night On Demand as it seems to be in the top 10 of most reviewers for 2011. I must say that I really enjoyed it.

The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt in 2002 to put together an Oakland A's baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

Brad Pitt plays Billy Bean and Jonah Hill (yeah him from Super Bad) plays the young genius Peter Brand who was the brains behind the computer generated analyses of all the players

I am not a big Brad Pitt fan but I can say that he played a very believable role. All in all the movie was enjoyable and worth seeing.

Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Art Howe. Robin Wright (Penn) plays Sharon, Beane's ex wife in a smaller role.

Definitely worth seeing but not in my top 5 this year

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Also watched and enjoyed this film on DVD. I thought Brad Pitt was very believable and warranted his nomination for Golden Globe Best Actor although George Clooney's Descendants won that award. I remember reading about Billy Beane exploits as the A's GM and the film amplified that great story for me.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Much like another Michael Lewis sports book "The Blind Side", a great adaptation of a book that I thought would be difficult to bring to the big screen. I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I really liked it.

The thing that struck me odd was the character "Peter Brand" was actually made up. The real person, Paul DePodesta, didn't approve of his portrayal in the movie.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Hook, line and sinker. Watched it on Apple TV, and a good measure of whether a movie's engaging is whether I pause it. I didn't, was too absorbed.
Loved the story - an improbable subject showed there are good movies to be found in the unlikeliest of places.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing