Miyabi retip experience

PeterKB

Feb 26, 2023
Hi,

I have a Miyabi cartridge that requires retip and I would appreciate any advice from people that have experience with Miyabi retip, specifically:
- watch outs: I’m thinking to focus on changing the stylus and not touching the cantilever in order to maintain the cartridges character any thoughts/experience?
- Retippers: which retipper wouldi you recommend for this that have done Miyabi and you have experience with? (ideally in Europe but I’m open), Is there any specific one that has done a lot of Miyabi cartridges successfully?
- Expectations: shall I expect the cartridge to sound very different after the work is completed?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Sorry cannot comment specifically, yet to state the obvious, for an EU service a dialog with Ana Mighty and Torlai is a good start :)

decameron

Nov 15, 2022
Peter,

I also own a Miyabi cartridge. Specifically, the MCA alnico. This was my stereo cartridge before I replaced it with the Tzar. You did not specify which model Miyabi you own. Some, like the MCA alnico and the 47 labs model, employed a line contact stylus. On the other hand, the Miyabi Standard and the MCA Ivory used an elliptical. There is a significant variation in the diameter of the side radius for elliptical cartridges and many variations of line contact type stylus profiles, such as Shibata, MicroRidge, VanDenHull, FritzGeiger SAS, and Paratrace. Even if the re-tipping service can identify the type of stylus, it would be virtually impossible to know where Takada sourced the stylus for your particular cartridge. There is a high likelihood that your replacement stylus will not be identical and therefore the sound will change. You may or may not prefer the sound of the new stylus. In my experience, it is helpful to be open-minded. In my mono setup, before my recent Sumile purchase, I used a Miyajima Zero. When that cartridge needed re-tipping, I opted to replace the conical stylus with a MicroRidge profile that is manufactured by Namiki. To my taste, the MicroRidge profile was superior to the conical. You may have a different experience but if your current stylus is compromised due to wear, you may as well be open to whatever changes may occur. Good luck. I look forward to reading a follow-up post.

Reactions: PeterKB

PeterKB

Feb 26, 2023
Peter,

I also own a Miyabi cartridge. Specifically, the MCA alnico. This was my stereo cartridge before I replaced it with the Tzar. You did not specify which model Miyabi you own. Some, like the MCA alnico and the 47 labs model, employed a line contact stylus. On the other hand, the Miyabi Standard and the MCA Ivory used an elliptical. There is a significant variation in the diameter of the side radius for elliptical cartridges and many variations of line contact type stylus profiles, such as Shibata, MicroRidge, VanDenHull, FritzGeiger SAS, and Paratrace. Even if the re-tipping service can identify the type of stylus, it would be virtually impossible to know where Takada sourced the stylus for your particular cartridge. There is a high likelihood that your replacement stylus will not be identical and therefore the sound will change. You may or may not prefer the sound of the new stylus. In my experience, it is helpful to be open-minded. In my mono setup, before my recent Sumile purchase, I used a Miyajima Zero. When that cartridge needed re-tipping, I opted to replace the conical stylus with a MicroRidge profile that is manufactured by Namiki. To my taste, the MicroRidge profile was superior to the conical. You may have a different experience but if your current stylus is compromised due to wear, you may as well be open to whatever changes may occur. Good luck. I look forward to reading a follow-up post.

Thanks for your message, it's a Miyabi standard. I understand you haven't retiped yours and you moved-on, somehow I would like to keep mine though. I'm aware that the sound will change with the retip, I just want to make sure that the character remains largely the same though. If I may ask: when you retiped your Miyajima was the cantilever replaced as well and who did it?

decameron

Nov 15, 2022
You are welcome, Peter. When I re-tipped the Zero, both the stylus and cantilever were replaced. Removing the stylus from a cantilever is challenging. Moreover, it is common for manufacturers of styli and cantilevers to ship assembled units. As you are probably aware very few cartridge brands manufacture the parts in the assembly. Two manufacturers, Namiki and Ogura, account for the vast majority of styli and cantilever manufacturing. Cartridge brands often specify stylus configuration and cantilever material, but an assembled product is usually shipped.​

I never re-tipped my Miyabi because it was not necessary. The stylus is in great shape. I simply moved on to the Tzar cartridge. My Miyabi is in semi-retirement.

Concerning repair work, I can recommend without reservation Dave Slagle of EMIA as well as Steve Leung of VAS Audio. As far as potential alteration of the cartridge sound, that is, as they say, a “known unknown”. This is particularly true for the Miyabi Standard and MCA models, as they were all handmade by Takeda. You may wish to contact Gideon Schwartz of Audio Arts. He is knowledgeable about Miyabi cartridges, although he prefers what one might call a modern iteration of this cartridge under the Fuuga brand name.

Good luck Peter. Please keep me in the loop.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@decameron how has your experience been with the Tzar? Not a lot of buzz on this one lately. Jus curious :)

decameron

Nov 15, 2022
Good evening Solypsa. In a word, Superb. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Miyabi MCA and before that a Miyajima Shilabe. Pushing back the clock, I spent quite a bit of time with various Alleart, Decca, Ikdeda, Soundsmith and Ortofon cartridges. They all brought something. The Tzar is special. No cartridge has provided such a deep, open, and tonally immersive gateway to the music. To my taste and in my system, an outstanding experience.

Reactions: Ed.P

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nice! Happy stories are so encouraging :)

What arm is it on? ( if I may ask )

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Wow not the typical player. Awesome to know a dst type works well on that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing