Mission: Impossible - Fallout

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
does it break any new ground?

I found the last one so old. like the same story all over again and again and the "big heist" so over the top. The one before last was quite good iirc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In many films Tom Cruise is riding a motorcycle, I can count five or six just quick like that. It's true that he is associated with action films and performing his own physical stunts.

I know some people don't like the film 'Collateral', but that was an interesting character Tom played in that film under Michael Mann's direction, in my calculated and experienced opinion.

Tom's direction in his career was the right one, the one he excels @, action.
He has the right looks, and the shape.

His personal life...the squirrels and the birds and the wildlife don't give a pack of wolves a dame.

His team in MI franchise is cool, mixing humor and beauty and fitness and technological gadgets together, like James Bond. It's a winning recipe.
Tom is a dedicated physical action movie actor, visually and also audio wise (you can hear and tell that audio mixes in his MI franchise is an important character). The music theme is ...one of the essences that sets the tone, the tempo, the locales around the world, the action...just like in double O7 franchise.

In Fallout (007 Skyfall), The Dark Knight of the series, Rebecca Ferguson is a good presence, and so is the villain back from Rogue Nation.

Not everyone might be in love with Tom Cruise, but the ones who are they sure enjoy a good ride when they see one, here a good fall that is rising above. ...Looking forward to see it, even @ over two hours (2h. 28m.).

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm not a Tom Cruise fan either and have liked 1 or 2 of the IMF movies.

Went today and this film is off the charts as far as an action film. The fact that he does his own stunts is remarkable. When he broke a bone in his foot while jumpng from one building roof top to another you could see from his limping that he was hurt

As far as an action thriller this was terrific from start to finish and, although I am not a fan of Cruise or the series, this one is a must see. I came out of the theater with a feeling of shortness of breath having watched all of the aerial stunts that took place

Don't wait for the film to be shown on On Demand because it should be seen on the big screen

As to why they made it in 3D continues to elude me. I still think 3D movies are gimmicky and not worth my money to watch the film

Only down side was the length of the film which felt to be dragging in the middle of the film. The last half hour however made the length of the film a non issue as I was on the edge of my seat

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Did you mean Science fiction or Scientology

He is a Scientologist which, like all religions, requires one to suspend logic and have faith in the super natural. Or aliens. Maybe it's no surprise that he's a fan of science fiction, the profit of Scientology was a science fiction writer as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

That's from ten and half+ years ago. In ten years most people evolve.
_____

* I have read more reviews, and comments about this film.
They are all rating it on average between four and five stars (out of five).
Quite impressive, and some say that it ranks among the best three this year.

And we don't see this too often:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/mission-impossible-fallout
http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/mission-impossible-fallout-m100124395
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_fallout/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4912910/
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/mission-impossible-fallout/review/

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw it today...it was meh. Spending some of the stunt budget on a writer to develop a plot might have been worthwhile.

Steve Williams

Saw it today...it was meh. Spending some of the stunt budget on a writer to develop a plot might have been worthwhile.

It was far from a good film. As my wife said it was an adventure film, not a good film. Personally I am not a fan of heights and watching that movie certainly had my adrenaline going

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I saw it with Steve and our wives today. It's certainly an action packed film. But the sad remark is that here were are on July 28th and this is the only Summer Spectacular film that's out. Where did all the good summer movies go?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I saw it with Steve and our wives today. It's certainly an action packed film. But the sad remark is that here were are on July 28th and this is the only Summer Spectacular film that's out. Where did all the good summer movies go?

That is it, there's nothing else.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson

I agree 100% with this comment - not much in the way of great movies this summer, spectacular or not.....in my opinion.

Steve Williams

I agree 100% with this comment - not much in the way of great movies this summer, spectacular or not.....in my opinion.

The movie industry over the past few years IMO has deteriorated to nothing more than action packed movies with constant stunts as well as virtually every comic book superhero in movies filled with CGI's. As you all know I am not a fan of super hero movies, 3D or anything of that ilk. Typically by this time of year there would be some movies worthy of Oscar contention but so far this year the only half decent movie I have seen has been Sicario ll but far from Oscar contention.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The movie industry over the past few years IMO has deteriorated to nothing more than action packed movies with constant stunts as well as virtually every comic book superhero in movies filled with CGI's. As you all know I am not a fan of super hero movies, 3D or anything of that ilk. Typically by this time of year there would be some movies worthy of Oscar contention but so far this year the only half decent movie I have seen has been Sicario ll but far from Oscar contention.

Couldn't agree more. I was talking to my buddy of 60 years while we were in Montana about this. We were debating whether or not to go see Mission Impossible and decided, nah, let's just hang out on my deck and enjoy the view and some good liquor.

He believes it's because "everything that could be done has been done" while I totally disagree with him. Today, as you point out, the emphasis is on computer generated crap with little substance and redos of what has already been done and little emphasis is placed on story line. All the ingenuity is placed on the former and little on the latter, right from the earliest days of training by those interested in the field. There is still tons of unique stuff to make movies about BUT few capable of doing it and the movie audience is/has changed. I think that is why we are seeing better entertainment on series on Netflix, etc. Even most of these Indie films have become filled with cliche writing and little substance.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Was really hyped to see it but it was so blah. Action scenes seemed to go on forever with little original content. The only plot there was seemed to be waiting for the next double cross. The final half hour of the movie was a chore as we waited for what we knew was supposed to happen to happen.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I have to agree. The majority of thought provoking drama is on TV these days.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

+1

I saw last week the new Jurassic Park movie, and it was applauded for taking the time and money to focus on dinosaur effects with puppets and robots rather than on synthetic CGI effects. The dinosaurs’ movements looked amazingly convincing (not that I really know for certain since I was not around when the dinosaurs walked the Earth).

Steve Williams

IMO the only good Jurassic Park was the first one

BTW last year the Pacific Symphony performers the music of Jurassic Park real time while they showed the movie

Aug 18 we are going to the Oscific symphony to hear the music of ET played real time to the movie

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have to agree. The majority of thought provoking drama is on TV these days.

...On the TV news, on the world news; that's where real drama is happening, without CGI effects but other type of effects. Bad news sells, good news doesn't.

Action movies with computer made scenes are a good distraction to bad real drama news, it sells with a bang in the bank for people who make them, for daredevils, for Tom Cruise, for Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

We are no longer from this generation, we are from the old generation, many of us we don't find solace in today's movie environment, the younger generation does.

By the numbers for this opening weekend...M:I-6 Fallout, and in comparison to the previous five impossible missions, dating back to 1996.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-rebecca-ferguson-henry-cavill-vanessa-kirby/

I've read comments from people who saw Fallout in 3D with IMAX frames.
They said the depth was impressive, with remarkable dimension immersiveness.
It sounds almost unrealistic for an action movie of this genre, spy genre à la James Bond.
They never released a James Bound's flick on 3D Blu-ray, ever, not in this country anyway.

Anyway, the movie reviewers, film critics today are mostly young people, from the younger generation. But even the older film reviewers enjoyed this film, on a very vast average.
I think it's good, it distracts everyone from the drama TV news of everyday's industrial disease and routine.
@ least we can count on Mr. Tom Cruise to take us out of this crazy world and penetrate a more sane world of cinema magic.

It's good to grab the youth inside us and to let it freely rip. That's movie action magic with Tom and the gang of Mission Impossible. We don't let it fall outside of the border line. ...A way of speech to say we can fly too going to the movies, free falling.

* I did check and there are no other movies right now that come even close. C'est la vie, a well calculated move from Paramount and MI6.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Jurassic Park, the first was the true magic deal, and the last did not do so well.
When I first saw JP @ the theater T-Rex's roar was pure adrenaline entertainment.
That scene with the kids in the car and turned over and tossed over the fence; pumping suspense of the blood.

Now back with the program...movie magic. :b ...Tom cruise, Steven Spielberg, War of the Worlds, Minority Report, Ready Player One, Top Gun, Mission: Impossible - Fallout ... on its way to the half $ billion mark worldwide, and then some with the handsome Tom, and team.

What else can you ask more from being entertained @ the movies in this today's absolute crazy world with crazy real people.

* The difference between good 2D and good 3D is what each one of us prefer from personal experience.
We cannot compare personal emotions with others, that would be like two people meeting on a bridge; one a classical violinist and the other a heavy rapper.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing