Mind blowing and surreal music experience

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
We are in Ennis , Ireland for a wedding , in this old and rickety but charming hotel.. The Old Ground.. travelled 6000 miles from South Africa to be there

Couldnt sleep well last night and went downstairs and outside to have a fag at 3 am .. maybe 2-3 people in a lounge off the lobby..

Went down again at 4.30 am expecting a totally deserted lobby/lounge and heard some strains of music when approaching the lounge...

Lo and behold , there was a 7 piece Irish/Gaelic band in full tilt with about 20 people surrounding them dancing the jig etc...

2 Accordion players , 2 drum/tambourine , A lute , an 8 string guitar and a violin. All totally unamplified .. the muso's had their eyes closed and the jammin and foot stomping just went on.. absolutely surreal.. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming..

30 minutes later they had to stop as some residents complained... but it was a totally mind blowing experience..both musically and the opportunity to be up close and personal to live unamplified stuff...
Hifi can never come close to this..

The highlight of my Irish experience so far.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We are in Ennis , Ireland for a wedding , in this old and rickety but charming hotel.. The Old Ground.. travelled 6000 miles from South Africa to be there

Couldnt sleep well last night and went downstairs and outside to have a fag at 3 am .. maybe 2-3 people in a lounge off the lobby..

Went down again at 4.30 am expecting a totally deserted lobby/lounge and heard some strains of music when approaching the lounge...

Lo and behold , there was a 7 piece Irish/Gaelic band in full tilt with about 20 people surrounding them dancing the jig etc...

2 Accordion players , 2 drum/tambourine , A lute , an 8 string guitar and a violin. All totally unamplified .. the muso's had their eyes closed and the jammin and foot stomping just went on.. absolutely surreal.. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming..

30 minutes later they had to stop as some residents complained... but it was a totally mind blowing experience..both musically and the opportunity to be up close and personal to live unamplified stuff...
Hifi can never come close to this..

The highlight of my Irish experience so far.

Those kind of experiences pretty much amplify why reproduced music falls a billion miles short of the real deal. I'm surprised they got to play as long as they did prior to someone complaining!!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
To me, this is reference! Too bad you could only enjoy 30 minutes of it but I'm glad you got to experience it, period.

Tom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And they say smoking is bad for you...

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is one motivated bad to be playing at 4:30 in the morning! That aside, thanks for sharing the experience with us. I can just imagine how special it must have been.

esldude

Some of my friends have such a band. I record them sometimes. A very lively kind of music. Must have been very nice to simply trip over such a group playing early in the morning (or more likely late in their night).

Also reminds me there is a bluegrass music hall close to where I live. They play every other Saturday till midnight. A couple miles away is a big restaurant at a truck stop. Lots of the musicians leave there and go to that restaurant. After a meal they often start up jam sessions informally with whomever is there to play. Other customers don't mind nor does the management. If you are by there 2 or 3 am, you are quite likely to walk into a big jam session going on.

Last edited:

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
A thread like this is great for reminding me how much we take for granted here. It's not a bad New Year's Resolution to try harder to appreciate the good stuff on your doorstep.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. The weather's not always this bad, honest!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing