Minari

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

saw this film yesterday as it has been receiving a lot of buzz

It received 98% on Rotten tomatoes

A Korean American family moves to an Arkansas farm in search of its own American dream. Amidst the challenges of this new life in the strange and rugged Ozarks, they discover the undeniable resilience of family and what really makes a home.

Just under 2 hours

I found this a very slow moving story about this Korean family trying to establish a home in Arkansas. A very nice story but in. the end it had no where to go

We enjoyed it but not to the point of Academy Award level

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It seems like you are not into these introspective indy films (like Nomad) that were made during the pandemic.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I was hoping this would be good... maybe I'd still like it?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
88 met score. It is widely praised by critics if that means anything.

I wish. They tend to praise films for political reasons, and judge films under ludicrous terms that aren't in their wheelhouse so-to-speak.

For example they'll rate pure action films like they're expecting Gone With The Wind...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I wish. They tend to praise films for political reasons, and judge films under ludicrous terms that aren't in their wheelhouse so-to-speak.

For example they'll rate pure action films like they're expecting Gone With The Wind...
I agree that several critics from random websites are political. But I do believe that an 88 is a consensus. I like Kenneth Turan for the LA Times, there are no politics. Here's his review from Sundance:

TURAN: The big news in the U.S. dramatic competition is that Lee Isaac Chung’s “Minari” pulled off the rare feat of taking both the grand jury prize and the audience award for its autobiographical story of a what happens to a young Korean American boy when he and his family move to Arkansas from California. “Minari” combined heartfelt storytelling with a restrained style to become one of the festival’s most popular films across the board, the kind of film Sundance was founded to showcase in the first place.

Steve Williams

It seems like you are not into these introspective indy films (like Nomad) that were made during the pandemic.
I found Minari on a similar level of Nomadland which will likely win but I couldn’t stand save for cinematography and Francis McDormand

Reactions: jeff1225

Steve Williams

I found Minari on a similar level of Nomadland which will likely win but I couldn’t stand save for cinematography and Francis McDormand
All of the films were made during the pandemic

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Agree. It must be me. I thought Minari was a mediocre film at best and at the end, I wanted to throw tomatoes at the screen. I resented that I had to pay $20 to rent it (especially when it will be free eventually). It was a respectable art house film that just didn't do it for me. The grandmother deserved her Oscar nod for supporting actress but Glenn Close should win handily.

Same for Nomadland. Totally mediocre film. I looked at my watch 3 times wondering when it would be over. Painful to watch. Seemed to me to be a "trendy' self-serving film made by Hollywood elite to show it "truly cares" for the little people. McDormand's acting was quite good but it doesn't compare to Andra Day in US vs Billie Holiday who should win the best actress Oscar. A brilliant and gutsy performance by a first time actress.

So far, have only seen 4 out of 8 best picture nominees and agree w Steve that Chicago 7 is the best so far. Just not looking forward to Aaron Sorkin's pontifications if it wins best picture.

Again, good evidence it must be me since I would never own, or even stream any of this year's Pop Grammy winners. Based on what I saw from Cardi B and Meghan Stallion on YouTube, I was so disgusted I almost puked. Hardly a triumph for the American music scene, IMHO.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing