Microsoft CEO: Women should not ask for raises?!?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am sure all of you have seen this already, but I thought it merits special mention here as well, as one of the dumbest things to ever come out of Microsoft yet! (He's already back-tracked off of those comments, and I am confident he will also now release Windows 9 too... ummm, perhaps that's too much to ask)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-ceo-says-women-shouldnt-ask-for-raises-will-99592191369.html
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-ceo-satya-nadella-women-dont-ask-for-a-raise
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/09/microsoft-ceo-women-asking-raises_n_5962476.html

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I bet this isn't over for him with a simple apology....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The worst of all was the smirk in his face, if you care to look for and watch the interview video

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Call me a racist, but I have a hunch his ethnicity may have something to do with this gaffe. While I'm sure many good old (white) boys in corporate America feel the same, most would have the cultural awareness and sensitivity to never express this sentiment in public.

In any event, the net effect is female top talent will avoid outfits like Microsoft like the plague and work for competition more committed to gender equality instead. So while it would be naive to say "the problem takes care of itself", there are definitely some self-correcting forces are work.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just watched the 1+ hour video. I must say the whole thing was uninspiring and capping it with that comment at the end just made took it from bad to worse.

Across the board, the answers he gave seem to have no aim. They were answers for the sake of answers. The comment about women and raises came right after a story he told of a female boss he had who told him to calm down and not expect promotions/raises. He took that answer and let it cloud his thinking when he answered about women and raises. I.e., he was told to be quiet and wait for the company to promote him. Why would his answer for women doing the same be different.

I don't know what good comes out of saying you had a woman boss who told you to not push for your career. He seemed to want to say that as to say there have been women in his professional life. He didn't think as to why telling that story would advance any cause for him.

His answers for technology and future were extremely uninspiring. May devices around the cloud getting smarter and helping you get more done. I know that is his strategy and that of Microsoft but in a public forum, there needs to be more angles to this that is exciting to hear. That is what you may say to employees but who in the general audience wants to hear that?

It was an interesting contrast to listen and watch the interviewer, Dr. Klawe who is on Microsoft board. She was herself. She was genuine. And she had 100% direct advice for the audience. She was comfortable on stage. Granted, this was her kind of event but still, the CEO of a major corporation should have come across better, much better. Not less.

I agree that the company just got blacklisted and will have a hard to time enticing women to the company at senior positions. When I was there, the women kept secret scores of which VP was better to work for and they would all jump at any chance to work for that VP. And shy away from any with reputation otherwise.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't know what good comes out of saying you had a woman boss who told you to not push for your career. He seemed to want to say that as to say there have been women in his professional life. He didn't think as to why telling that story would advance any cause for him.

Obviously for the same reason closet racists always have a few race stories handy to justify their racism.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What is a killer that there were a bunch of female Microsoft employees in the audience. Must have embarrassed them to no end.

The whole thing was so screwed up. It started with Dr. Klawe saying that she sent an email to him asking him to be the first CEO of a major company to give a speech there. And that what he would get in return would be ability to recruit a number of women! I can accept that she used this tool to get him to do this event but sure as heck should not have been something that was said in public. Shows me PR was not involved and just thought was this was a safe situation with their board member asking the questions. So what could go wrong? A lot now.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
All he had to do is say, "This applies to women and men." No CEO wants to give raises to anyone. It cuts into profit which then lowers their bonus.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
There was know ill intent meant by the CEO, imo. Just another example of political correctness football the media loves to kick around.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There was know ill intent meant by the CEO, imo. Just another example of political correctness football the media loves to kick around.

Really!??!:rolleyes:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Political correctness? I think not. Telling women not to speak up for raises their male counterparts get is as insulting as it gets. Don't worry pretty lady, we will take care of you, what patting her on the head or on the ass as she walks buy. If I were a shareholder, I would move to have him ousted.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Really!??!:rolleyes:

Really..Sorry Libs..grow a pair..lol
By the way, I don't think males ask for raises anymore than women....in fact if you work for a good company and do a good job there is no need to ask for a raise in the first place (professional "educated" marketplace). Bonus, profit sharing and incremental year over year salary increases happen w/o asking.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Really..Sorry Libs..grow a pair..lol
By the way, I don't think males ask for raises anymore than women....in fact if you work for a good company and do a good job there is no need to ask for a raise in the first place (professional "educated" marketplace). Bonus, profit sharing and incremental year over year salary increases happen w/o asking.

Actually, in today's workplace, it takes a pair to go in and demand what you think you are entitled to. BTW, studies have clearly shown that men don't have to ask for raises as much because they get them when women don't, yes even in the professional "educated" workplace. As I lawyer, I have seen this myself. Far too many business fall short of being a "good company" In a perfect world..... Oh, and it is a shame that expecting companies and bosses to treat everyone fairly and give them what their efforts warrant is such a threat. Enough said before this turns into yet another political thread that goes nowhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing