Michael Fremer enthusiastic review of Audio Technica AT-MC2022.

theophile

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I never listen this cartridge, but I have listen the ART-1000...
I have two ART-9...I prefer my ZYX 4D than my ART9...

theophile

I never listen this cartridge, but I have listen the ART-1000...
I have two ART-9...I prefer my ZYX 4D than my ART9...
Well I suppose that a cartridge claimed by the manufacturer to be capable of "going beyond Time and Space" would be better. (Taken from the document posted below)

"Not exaggeratedly, the Model 4D has four dimensional factors that realize reproducing new three dimensional music whenever, wherever and repeatedly, going beyond time and space."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mtemur

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have one of these beauties. i am very impressed, but don't yet have the complete picture as my tone arm is not ideal likely. i do hear the attributes Fremer talks about. it does particular things spectacularly. and if you want a cartridge that will tell you everything about the pressing, without distortion, this might be tip top.

but do you really want that? can your signal path and room tune handle it?

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225 and mtemur

theophile

i have one of these beauties. i am very impressed, but don't yet have the complete picture as my tone arm is not ideal likely. i do hear the attributes Fremer talks about. it does particular things spectacularly. and if you want a cartridge that will tell you everything about the pressing, without distortion, this might be tip top.

but do you really want that? can your signal path and room tune handle it?

I would love for a MC2022 owner to review the Audio Technica AT-ART20. Most of what is being said about the 2022, I hear from the ART20. Not saying that they are on a par. Just that there seems to be some familial DNA which carries through to the lesser sibling.

PS There won't be many MC2022 reviews on the 'net. Supposedly Audio Technica are testing the water with this limited release. Let's hope they release more of the same.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Well I suppose that a cartridge claimed by the manufacturer to be capable of "going beyond Time and Space" would be better. (Taken from the document posted below)

"Not exaggeratedly, the Model 4D has four dimensional factors that realize reproducing new three dimensional music whenever, wherever and repeatedly, going beyond time and space."

Thanks for the link.
Never read the ZYX marketing, just listen.
With the ART-9, the SL-1000R sounds like a CD player...
With ZYX 4D, the SL-1000R sounds like a turntable.
It's just what I think.

theophile

Thanks for the link.
Never read the ZYX marketing, just listen.
With the ART-9, the SL-1000R sounds like a CD player...
With ZYX 4D, the SL-1000R sounds like a turntable.
It's just what I think.
In that case, be careful that the ZYX doesn't teleport the entire turntable into the 4th dimension.

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
In my system CD (or the flac rip of one) has higher fidelity than vinyl. I’d love a MC2022 or an ART20, but I’ve settled on the AT33PTG/II as my “best” cartridge. In my system the ART9XA is better but for IGD. A Shibata is no match for an ML.

Last edited:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
In that case, be careful that the ZYX doesn't teleport the entire turntable into the 4th dimension.
It teleports me in a world of music.

theophile

It teleports me in a world of music.
I find this world of music sufficient. No dimension slipping necessary. I also know plenty of people who have owned both those cartridges and put them on a par. They love them both and use them interchangeably. They would refer to them both as the favourite cartridges they had used in their system Preference probably comes down to compatibility with the system.

It was those people's reference(notice I didn't say preference) of the ART9XI(in this case) to the ZYX 4D which inspired me to try out the ART20. I have not heard the ART 7/9/9XA/9XI but if the 9 was being spoken of by those individuals in the same breath as the 4D, I thought that was a glowing reference. The ART20 for its part is a musically beautiful cartridge.

Last edited:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I find this world of music sufficient. No dimension slipping necessary. I also know plenty of people who have owned both those cartridges and put them on a par. They love them both and use them interchangeably. They would refer to them both as the favourite cartridges they had used in their system Preference probably comes down to compatibility with the system.

It was those people's reference(notice I didn't say preference) of the ART9XI(in this case) to the ZYX 4D which inspired me to try out the ART20. I have not heard the ART 7/9/9XA/9XI but if the 9 was being spoken of by those individuals in the same breath as the 4D, I thought that was a glowing reference. The ART20 for its part is a musically beautiful cartridge.

My old post here has near one year's old...

I said :
With the Technics SL-1000R, the ART-9 sounds like a CD.
With the VPI Classic 3, the ART-9 sounds like a vinyl.
I have two ART-9...and I prefer now the ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R...This last combination are in a great synergy.
ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R beats easily my Esoteric K-03XS with my Mark Levinson N360S....
Even with ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R, the introduction 'Money for nothing' has more bass than the CD or SACD...

Post is here (April 2022)

And that is the conclusion of the youtube video.
Post is here :

djsina2 says :​

I forced my translator to listen to the end of this video when they compared the two tables.
SL-1000R: it had no noise, good SN ratio, sound is very clear but no character of its own, works well with any genre of music, sounds digital (CD).
TAT2: is more real, vocals more precise, softer overall sound, good SN ratio also, they were thinking the IME1 played a role in the vocals sounding better.
Translator had to leave and couldn’t finish the video. Will try and post more later.

So we are agree that SL-1000R sounds like a CD...but it depends of the choice of the cartridge.
What a pity that they don't give the setup of the two turntable exactly, including arm and cartridge.

People are not chosen the good cartridge to marry with this turntable.

Your turntable Yamaha GT 2000/Funk Firm FX3 (old or new version (?) ) has not the same sound as the Technics SL-1000R.
That's perhaps you have a better sound with the ART20 with.

The Yamaha GT 2000/Funk Firm FX3 old version (1982) has the direct drive.
The Yamaha GT 2000/Funk Firm FX3 new version has a belt drive.

theophile

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing