Measuring timing

Do you hear a difference after changing one element of digital playback

• When Playback software (bt perfect) changed?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • When USB to SPDIF converter changed?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Can you identify this difference in a blind test?

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No, I can't hear any difference & I have tried the above changes?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Guys, the topic of the thread is "measuring timing." Please don't distract it with talk of double blind tests and such. They are different things and Jkenny is doing good work here. I wish I was not so busy and could contribute....

Amir, thanks for the support but the level of interest demonstrated in this thread is negligible/non-existent & the only posts so far are from those who dismiss the relevance of the measurements or have decided that they require something else EDIT: Before they even see what the actual measurements show. I consider this not just a closed-minded attitude but a locked shut, airtight one at that (they could well be correct but I prefer to have open discussions rather than bunker warfare). As I said at the outset, I'm not interested in continuing here, if that was the case & there are no other voices or views being expressed (apart from your own.

Just for the record my second set of sanity check measurements posted are incorrect.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is it irrelevant? I guess I wish you had time to explain why. He has measured something; that is good. We're talking about audio. It seems like the next logical step is to determine whether or not what he has measured is audible, whether or not it needs to be studied further. Unless we've left the realm of practical engineering and entered pure research...

Tim
One of the benefits is learning how our systems work. If we think there should be no timing difference, i.e. "it is impossible" but it is shown that there is, then we don't understand something about how the system works. This is why we may show jitter measurement differences between two transports to someone who says it is impossible to make an electrical difference in the produced analog sound by changing one digital source for another. Discovery of role of jitter here was an engineering result, and not one of pure research.

But sure, we would need to apply our understanding of psychoacoustics to it. Both the measurements and this analysis would be educational as they will serve us in other situations.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Hm, would you mind going to www.aes.org/sections/pnw/ppt.htm and uploading the octave scripts and watch the video for the instructions on how to use them?

You'll need a bit different capture mechanism, but you should be able to capture intersample delays to an absurdly small level, as well as verify their frequency and non-delay phase response, and all at once.

Those signals I can process handily for more information if it comes to that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing