Mashed Potatoes! Can there be anything better?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love, love, love mashed potatoes! I have a feeling I'm not in the minority on this either, so I thought I'd post my own method. It's good folks, really!

I use Russet Potatoes exclusively for my Mashed Potato recipe. I also only use real butter, not margarine and I use whole milk (not cream). I'm also not a fan of the rustic (leave the skin on) type of method and other additional ingredients like chopped garlic and such. To me Mashed Potatoes are about smooth, entirely lump-free and rich consistency.

It's somewhat difficult to post this with accurate measurements as I do this on the fly and I have a real good feel about when to add more butter or milk. Here are the basics however.

Mashed Potatoes

1. 8 Russet Potatoes (roughly equal size pieces....about 8 per potato)
2. 3/4 tsp Salt
3. Bring to boil until fork-tender and drain.
4. Add 2 heaping TBS of butter and about 1/2 cup of whole milk.
5. Start pummeling the potatoes with a hand-masher and stirring around to get the bits on the side of the pan.
6. Too dry? Add more butter and a little more milk.
7. Still too dry? Add just a little more milk and taste.

Eventually, and it can take at least 5 minutes of vigorous stirring if not more, you'll find there are no more lumps. However, you may find that more butter and/or milk are required. Be very careful at this point and only use very small amounts to bring it the proper consistancy.

Making proper mashed potatoes is an art onto itself. It takes patience, time and experience to get it right.

I hope I have given you a starting point....

John

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For variety add a little garlic and Parmesan cheese to taste. Always peel potatoes after boiling. Real butter and half and half.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For variety add a little garlic and Parmesan cheese to taste. Always peel potatoes after boiling. Real butter and half and half.

Good point!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I boil those russet taters whole with skin on and use a ricer to begin the mash process which works beautifully.

Now for cajun mashed potatoes you have to use the small red new potatoes. In a 5 quart pot you need to use a judicious amount of Zatarains crab boil along with a dozen or so potatoes. After they're boiled, drain and use a flat waffle smasher, skin on! Add half a ton of butter and mix. It'll put hair on your...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

I can see that you are on another food kick. ;) :D I like fresh mashed potatoes very much. But just make sure that there are still some lumps left so it doesn't seem so "manufactured".

Rich
Hi Rich,

Yeah FOOD! It is certainly one of my Top passions.

John

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Dare i say, if you want a healthier alternative you can substitute chicken broth for butter (or a good portion of butter) and you will not lose anything in taste.

Brian

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Talking about variations, I always wanted to make the "wasabi" mashed potatoes. Thanking it is just wasabi powder and mashed potatoes, I proceeded to put a teaspoons of the former in the later. No cigar. It wasn't even remotely green. So I kept putting more and more in there to the point that it was practically inedible as it was so hot and still not green!!!

Fast forward to a cooking show with Wolfgang Puck where he said they get the green color from spinach juice. Duh! That did the trick. Nice color and hotness/flavor.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
Wanna "kick it up a notch"? Add half a pkg of cream cheese.

Oh, to make it very smooth, use a ricer.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Dare i say, if you want a healthier alternative you can substitute chicken broth for butter (or a good portion of butter) and you will not lose anything in taste.
Or you can substitute chicken fat for butter and experience a gain in taste..............................but, ultimately, at a cost. My compromise is to add onions, browned in butter, to the potatoes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Brian

Or mashed or puried sweet potatoes...a superfood. Pineapple, ginger, orange juice, skim milk, maybe a little sliced almonds on top and have really healthy and tasty dish :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I like my lumps. And I peel the potatoes first, and steam them, not boil. Hand mash only, whole milk, real butter, kosher salt...

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing