Marvin Gaye whats going on album.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I watched the documentary Hitmakers. It is ones opinion (as all docs are) of the history of Motown.
The part about this album compelled me to go buy it and give it a whirl.
Before I post my opinions, I, without links,pictures, etc would be interested in your opinions on the album and where and how and if it is part of your music history, I was nine when it came out so not much influence there for me.
I dont care about anyone's opinion but yours.
Enjoy the day.
Mike

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I was in high school and Marvin's what's going on was a favorite of mine....I still listen to it. There were many songs that expressed the times of the day. Some others that I listened to were Les Mccan's Compared to what,CSNY,and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Living in the Bay Area and having KSAN,KSJO,KOME,KPFA and others play all the San Francisco rock bands and stuff nobody else played was a delight for the music lover.

What's Going on will always be a ground breaking song...about a period of time in America of great change and raising consciousness of the plight of your fellow man.

Reactions: Gregadd

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Bought it in the noughts - too young when it first came out - an album for the ages - ridiculously superb

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I was in high school and Marvin's what's going on was a favorite of mine....I still listen to it. There were many songs that expressed the times of the day. Some others that I listened to were Les Mccan's Compared to what,CSNY,and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Living in the Bay Area and having KSAN,KSJO,KOME,KPFA and others play all the San Francisco rock bands and stuff nobody else played was a delight for the music lover.

What's Going on will always be a ground breaking song...about a period of time in America of great change and raising consciousness of the plight of your fellow man.
Don't forget KRQR. :)

Bazelio - Bay Area native.

Reactions: RogerD

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Don't forget KRQR. :)

Bazelio - Bay Area native.
That was after I left the Bay Area. Most of the FM stations I listed were broadcasting in the 60’s and 70’s :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Marvin Gaye was the king of make out music?. WGO(Can I call it that?) Was a complete surprise coming from him. It was the civil rights era.
Many people could not get over the fact it did not win a grammy.
I still have a couple copies. I purchased all they had at the used record store. It was good music and well recorded.

Message music does sell.

Reactions: RogerD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing