Marijuana tied to better blood sugar control

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Genevra Pittman,Reuters

By Genevra Pittman
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who had used marijuana in the past month had smaller waists and lower levels of insulin resistance - a diabetes precursor - than those who never tried the drug, in a new study.
The findings, based on surveys and blood tests of about 4,700 U.S. adults, aren't enough to prove marijuana keeps users thin or wards off disease. And among current pot smokers, higher amounts of marijuana use weren't linked to any added health benefits, researchers reported in The American Journal of Medicine.
"These are preliminary findings," said Dr. Murray Mittleman, who worked on the study at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
"It looks like there may be some favorable effects on blood sugar control, however a lot more needs to be done to have definitive answers on the risks and potential benefits of marijuana usage."
Although pot smoking is a well-known cause of "the munchies," some previous studies have found marijuana users tend to weigh less than other people, and one suggested they have a lower rate of diabetes. Trials in mice and rats hint that cannabis and cannabinoid receptors may influence metabolism.
The new study used data from a national health survey conducted in 2005-2010. Researchers asked people about drug and alcohol use, as well as other aspects of their health and lifestyle, and measured their insulin and blood sugar levels.
Just under 2,000 participants said they had used marijuana at some point, but not recently. Another 600 or so were current users - meaning they had smoked or otherwise consumed the drug in the past month.
Compared to people who had never used pot, current smokers had smaller waists: 36.9 inches versus 38.3 inches, on average. Current users also had a lower body mass index - a ratio of weight to height - than never-users.
When other health and lifestyle measures were taken into account, recent pot use was linked to 17 percent lower insulin resistance, indicating better blood sugar control, and slightly higher HDL ("good") cholesterol levels.
However, there was no difference in blood pressure or blood fats based on marijuana use, Mittleman's team found.
A CAUSAL LINK?
Mittleman said that in his mind, it's still "preliminary" to say marijuana is likely to be responsible for any diabetes-related health benefits.
"It's possible that people who choose to smoke marijuana have other characteristics that differ (from non-marijuana smokers)," and those characteristics are what ultimately affect blood sugar and waist size, he told Reuters Health.
Dr. Stephen Sidney from the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, California, said he wonders if cigarette smoking may partially explain the association. Marijuana users are also more likely to smoke tobacco, he told Reuters Health.
"People who use tobacco oftentimes tend to be thinner," said Sidney, who has studied marijuana use and weight but didn't participate in the new study. "So I really wonder about that."
Another limitation with this and other studies, Sidney and Mittleman agreed, is that all of the data were collected at the same time, so it's unclear whether marijuana smoking or changes in waist size and blood sugar came first.
"The question is, is the marijuana leading to the lower rate (of diabetes) or do they have something in common?" said Dr. Theodore Friedman, who has studied that issue at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles.
He and his colleagues think the link is probably causal. "But it's really hard to prove that," Friedman, who also wasn't involved in the new research, told Reuters Health.
One possibility is that the anti-inflammatory properties of marijuana help ward off diabetes, he said. But he agreed that more research is needed to draw out that link.
"I want to make it clear - I'm not advocating marijuana use to prevent diabetes," Friedman said. "It's only an association."

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Given the many negative health effects of smoking marijuana, I'm glad to read that Dr. Friedman isn't recommending that diabetics start using this dangerous drug.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I guess that's a good thing, because if you smoke enough dope, you will forget to take your insulin.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
Given the many negative health effects of smoking marijuana, I'm glad to read that Dr. Friedman isn't recommending that diabetics start using this dangerous drug.

I guess that's a good thing, because if you smoke enough dope, you will forget to take your insulin.

does anyone really want to debate the proven health benefits of cannabis use, or will ignorant generalizations suffice?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Carl strikes again!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
does anyone really want to debate the proven health benefits of cannabis use, or will ignorant generalizations suffice?

Sure.

I don't have any health issues. I don't take any prescription meds. I don't smoke and only drink a glass of wine with dinner.

So, please tell me how smoking cannabis is going to improve my health.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I suspect the health benefits are small to dubious, but if memory serves, compared to alcohol, pot is less impairing, less likely to inspire violent/foolish behavior, and less damaging on its way out of the system (no hangover). And it's a better buzz. I love a good bourbon, but alcohol is legal and pot is not because of politics. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most drinkers would probably be better off, on all fronts, with a glass of juice and a one-hitter.

Tim

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I suspect the health benefits are small to dubious, but if memory serves, compared to alcohol, pot is less impairing, less likely to inspire violent/foolish behavior, and less damaging on its way out of the system (no hangover). And it's a better buzz. I love a good bourbon, but alcohol is illegal and pot is not because of politics. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most drinkers would probably be better off, on all fronts, with a glass of juice and a one-hitter.

Tim

I'll have what you're having Tim. :D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sure.

I don't have any health issues. I don't take any prescription meds. I don't smoke and only drink a glass of wine with dinner.

For people without a specific medical condition that benefits from cannabis use (such as say those suffering from MS), smoking dope reduces stress at the expense of killing braincells. Whether that is a net postive or negative to your health is a function of your lifestyle, susceptibility to stress, and your neurological make-up, and obviously the amount of dope you smoke. There is no universal answer to how whether this is a net positive, negative or neutral. A relaxed dude doing yoga and drinking herbal tea has probabl little to gain, while a strockbroker, unwinding every day on six vodka tonics would probalbly benefit greatly from swtiching to dope. Despite being from Amsterdam, I personally never developed a taste for the stuff, but that is more of a personal preference issue.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
Sure.

perhaps i should have said therapeutic benefits... my perspective comes from that of medical use, not recreational hence my use of the term cannabis.

i would not recommend smoking any substance as the byproducts of combustion are toxic. that said, the latest studies are not finding significant health risks for casual smokers. - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57356548/study-no-lung-danger-from-casual-pot-smoking/

cannabis is not for everyone. as with any drug, its side effects are not universally well tolerated. unlike over-the-counter and prescription drugs, it is non-toxic and deaths by overdose are at zero. many people do benefit from the use of cannabis to treat their medical conditions, such as;

Chronic Pain*
Muscle Spasms
Anxiety/Depression
PTSD
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Diabetes
Digestive Disorders
Cancer
Chemotherapy Relief*
Glaucoma*
Fibromyalgia
GERD
IBS
Crohn’s disease
Hepatitis C
HIV/AIDS
Wasting Syndrome/Weight Loss*
Multiple Sclerosis
Alzheimer’s Disease
Sleep Disorders*
Nausea*
Autism
Epilepsy/Seizures

most of the above do not have significant numbers of cannabis patients to make a claim for a standardized treatment for the condition, but they are well documented cases. for the conditions marked with an asterisk, the evidence of beneficial treatment with cannabis is overwhelming.

since you are in good health without any medical conditions that need to be addressed, you have no need to undergo treatment. now that said, it could improve your quality of life by simply making you feel and sleep better.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing