Mahler 5: the symphony made famous by the movie Tar

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I’m sure by now you might have seen the movie Tar, which is mostly about a conductor unraveling while she’s conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in Mahler’s Symphony No 5. It is a truly sublime work that transcends an easy description. Mahler put his life into each of his symphonies and the 5 is just spiritually transcending. What are your favorite recordings of the Mahler 5? As far as the movie, I’m not sure it’s Cate Blanchett’s best work. But I’m no film critic. At least it made the 5 popular!

1715658211241.png

I have no plans to see the movie.

Mahler 5 is famous for its Adagietto, (Fourth Movement) as being a soulful or beautiful piece of classical music, purportedly written for his wife Alma. Leonard Bernstein famously conducted that movement at Robert Kennedy's funeral at Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City

I would recommend performances from Bernstein, von Karajan or Haitink but there other fine examples.

You can listen to my recordings of Bernstein and von Karajan perform that movement at links in this thread:

Last edited:
The Adagietto is prominently featured in Visconti's 1971 movie "Death in Venice" based on Thomas Mann's novella. In the movie, the hero Aschenbach is transformed from an author into a composer/conductor.

One of the great recordings was by Barbirolli with the New Philharmonia Orchestra on EMI, done in 1969. I only have the original vinyl on EMI.

Larry

One of the great recordings was by Barbirolli with the New Philharmonia Orchestra on EMI, done in 1969. I only have the original vinyl on EMI.

Larry
I like Sir John's recording (you are lucky to have the vinyl!)
However, the ones I would strongly recommend are,
- Chailly with the Concertgebouw (early 70s)
- Levine with Philadelphia (early '70s)
and an unusual one that I like for the devoted and passionate playing: Markus Stenz, Melbourne Symphony (early 2000s)
Of course there is always a Bernstein to fall back upon - I like the Vienna Philharmonic version (rather than the NYP one).
Regards

Reactions: Young Skywalker
Much better known is the Visconti film Death in Venice, that memorably and movingly features Mahler 5 and 3.

Last edited:
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I listened to Michael Tilson Thomas conduct the SFO in several Mahler symphonies. He recorded the entire series on SACD, although hearing him live was a far better experience. To my ears, most audio recordings of such large ensemble symphonies fail to capture the grandeur of a live performance.

Here’s a long summary of recordings of the 5.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Bernstein didn't just love M5. He chose to be buried with the score (in Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn).
Love Tony Duggan. He taught me more about Mahler's recordings than anyone past or present. It's a veritable bible.

Tonight, MTT is conducting the LSO at the Barbican - Mahler 3. Concert is sold out. We are in London now, but couldn't get tickets. He is scheduled to conduct the LSO in Mahler 2 in October. It has been three years since he announced he has an aggressive form of brain cancer. He will be 80 at the end of this year.

Larry

Reactions: marty
MTT/SFSO
Bernstein/VPO
Sinopoli/Philharmonia
Also.....Fischer/BFSO (from a 5.0 DFF256 master session file!)
From memory only.......... Solti/Chicago (from a Carnegie Hall concert where I sat in the very front "stage left" box right over the brass!!)

My fave for #5 would be Bernstein/NYP, followed by Solti/CSO and (if you want an SACD) Zander/Philharmonia.

Most of all, don't stop at #5: all are good, and for me, #2 is the best of all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing