Ludwig Mastered Vinyl

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
OK, the hype and the prices are strong. Listening to a copy of Stage Fright I bought new, when it was first issued, dug it out, an RL. It is killer.
I bought a VG+ copy of LZII. I have owned copies of this record since it was first released (I can't find my original copy so i don't know if it is an RL, but it is somewhere in the stacks). It is the best I have ever heard this thing. Now if only I could find a truly mint copy.
I'm digging through what I have to find more of his records. The hype is justified, at least on LZII and Stage Fright.
I know Christian is a big LZ fan, do you have the RL of LZII? If not, please get one so I don't have to fight you for the next mint one....:)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
RL = Robert Ludwig?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK, the hype and the prices are strong. Listening to a copy of Stage Fright I bought new, when it was first issued, dug it out, an RL. It is killer.
I bought a VG+ copy of LZII. I have owned copies of this record since it was first released (I can't find my original copy so i don't know if it is an RL, but it is somewhere in the stacks). It is the best I have ever heard this thing. Now if only I could find a truly mint copy.
I'm digging through what I have to find more of his records. The hype is justified, at least on LZII and Stage Fright.
I know Christian is a big LZ fan, do you have the RL of LZII? If not, please get one so I don't have to fight you for the next mint one....:)

Actually I actually think they murdered the sound of Stage Fright :( That is even more evident when one compares the LP with the 15 ips TTP release of the same. Some engineer was EQ happy -- and not in a good way -- with the LP. In fact, any resemblance between the LP and the tape is purely coincidental.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Actually I actually think they murdered the sound of Stage Fright :( That is even more evident when one compares the LP with the 15 ips TTP release of the same. Some engineer was EQ happy -- and not in a good way -- with the LP. In fact, any resemblance between the LP and the tape is purely coincidental.
I'd like to hear the tape, then.
Most of these records I bought back in the day as the standard issue pressings of pop music in the 70's and 80's without any particular attention paid (especially in the case of popular music) to the pressings- yeah, I bought some of the early audiophile stuff, like MFSL, but mostly these were bought for the music. I'll have to look to see what other RLs I have and listen to them when I get the opportunity.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
thanks Doc. I started wading through and when i got to the 22nd page, I went into overload, but I bookmarked it for later reference. As I mentioned in my response to Myles, most of these I bought back in the day as popular records with little regard for the pressing or who was mastering them. Sure, I had heard of Bob Ludwig, and his body of work is impressive. This will be a project, since finding records at my house is a little like playing the match game. Remember where you thought you saw that last? I hope to change that once I'm forced to pack and move 'em all....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'd like to hear the tape, then.
Most of these records I bought back in the day as the standard issue pressings of pop music in the 70's and 80's without any particular attention paid (especially in the case of popular music) to the pressings- yeah, I bought some of the early audiophile stuff, like MFSL, but mostly these were bought for the music. I'll have to look to see what other RLs I have and listen to them when I get the opportunity.

Anytime :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing