Lincoln

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw the film this afternoon and although not a great enough film to win Best Film, one can certainly make a point for Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor and I can even see a nomination for Sally Fields as Best Actress. Both of them were practically indistinguishable from their real life counter parts

The story is historic (duh) in nature but unbeknownst to me was the 2 weeks leading up to the vote in Congress for ratification of the 13TH Amendment to the US Constitution and how Lincoln was able to sway Democrats and Republicans to vote for the Amendment.

Very good cast of characters including Tommie Lee Jones who even in a wig is one ugly dude.

The story is told over almost 2 1/2 hours and time goes by quickly as the story is just that good and Daniel Day Lewis is so convincing

It won't disappoint and definitely a Thumb's Up

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We saw this a couple of days ago. I wasn't as impressed as Steve. Too long...they could have cut the last 15 minutes. The film states that it loosely based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals"...'loosely' being the operative word. The supporting actors including Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stephens are good. I kept thinking about the faux movie from 'The Player'. I'd wait for the Blu-Ray...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- My very good friend, Will and his wife, Catherine saw that flick a few weeks passed.

Will said to me; "I won't be reseeing that one". He told me all about, that particular time period (slavery in America), and the team assembled, and the opposition, and the acting, and the 'action' (well, non-action), and we talked about America's history of the 1800 and 1900, etc., and during all that time his wife didn't say a word; which means that it wasn't her bag.

By the way, Will is a pro musician and painter and he's working on his own film right now (story wise, assemblage, go-ahead from the government, etc.) and with the collaboration of one of his good friends, a pro writer.
...Will is very big on films. ...Like I. ...But not with the same background as mine (I studied Cinema Art History at college, not Will).

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw Lincoln over the weekend and liked it.

Agree that Daniel Day Lewis was outstanding.

What was really interesting to me was how they passed the 13th amendment, must have been similar to the way LBJ pushed the Civil Rights Act through Congress.

Not a pretty process and certainly makes you wonder....

Regarding the movie, 2.5 hours was a tad too long for me, too. However, I always think twice when a movie goes over 2 hours.

Gattopardow99

Feb 4, 2022
The film.does not mention the fact that 3/5 of the slaves were counted as votes that were presumably used by the the slave owners.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I will reserve comment until I see the film. It deserves credit if it is even re.otely accurate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing