Led Zeppelin 45 RPM Test Pressing Road Case

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes and it opened for $9.99. Did anyone think it would sell for that? :)

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Yes and it opened for $9.99. Did anyone think it would sell for that? :)

I thought it might. I was offered over $5k for mine which was not the test pressings and opened.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is it only me or does anyone else see the runner-up getting a message you have second chance offer?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wouldn't pay $10,200 to have what's left of Led Zep show up at my house and play never mind paying that for their LPs.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
From what I've read about the pressing quality of these sets, I would rather have a used set that is known not to be overly warped. The winner could be in for a nasty surprise.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have 1 of Hobson's 3 sets that he personally selected. I paid quite a bit less although still a ton of $$$ for 10 record albums.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
These are test pressings though, I would hope the quality control would be better.

I always wonder with test pressings that they sell, if they are the ones they were happy with, or rejects?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
These are test pressings though, I would hope the quality control would be better.

I always wonder with test pressings that they sell, if they are the ones they were happy with, or rejects?

Usually they are rejects. The labels won't give up the test pressings for the production run.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

For my set, Hobson picked them and inspected them himself for the 3 road cases he selected. If he felt the test presses were better, he would have picked them presumably. In any event, my entire set is dead quiet and flat...no dishing.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
For my set, Hobson picked them and inspected them himself for the 3 road cases he selected. If he felt the test presses were better, he would have picked them presumably. In any event, my entire set is dead quiet and flat...no dishing.

It is certainly an advantage to know the right people.:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
From what I've read about the pressing quality of these sets, I would rather have a used set that is known not to be overly warped. The winner could be in for a nasty surprise.

Yeah but a vacuum or clamp takes care of that problem. More of a issue is when the Classic pressing are significantly off center (youch!) or not 12 inches in diameter and thus the outer ring clamp doesn't work :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah but a vacuum or clamp takes care of that problem. More of a issue is when the Classic pressing are significantly off center (youch!) or not 12 inches in diameter and thus the outer ring clamp doesn't work :(

Sounds like Classic made lots of rookie mistakes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sounds like Classic made lots of rookie mistakes.

I don't think they ever got their pressing machines sorted out especially with the 200 gram LPs. But as I said, an out ring clamps solves the issue.

Oh yes, forgot about one other issue. I find that the spindle hole on many of the Clarity pressings is way too small.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

There is that too. I have a few like that from CR. Really disappointing because the sound quality otherwise is so good. Then there is the so called Clarity vinyl that is noisier than the normal formulation.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is that too. I have a few like that from CR. Really disappointing because the sound quality otherwise is so good. Then there is the so called Clarity vinyl that is noisier than the normal formulation.

Interesting I know that others have complained about the surface noise too. That's not something I've experienced but the weird thing is that the Atlas -- maybe because of it's stylus contour -- seems to trace records better and ergo more quietly.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Interesting I know that others have complained about the surface noise too. That's not something I've experienced but the weird thing is that the Atlas -- maybe because of it's stylus contour -- seems to trace records better and ergo more quietly.

I think it's just that some are quieter than others. I only have a couple of Clarity titles but they are noisier than any other new records I have ever bought. I have cleaned them many times and they never got any better. I have heard other peoples copies sound fairly quiet. It would be interesting to take my copy over to their place and see if there is a difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing