Kenny Wayne Shepperd

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Guys:

I have a few Kenny Wayne Shepperd CDs, but I always thought they were a bit on the bland side
with slick production values.

I just downloaded from DIME a live show from London with Robert Cray and Eric Bibb.

Wholly ****! The man can PLAY guitar. Mamma mia.

It is a shame his albums don't capture the ferocity of his live playing.

I was driving and literally had to pull over...his version of the Beatles "Yer Blues"
is just ridiculous.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hey Guys:

I have a few Kenny Wayne Shepperd CDs, but I always thought they were a bit on the bland side
with slick production values.

I just downloaded from DIME a live show from London with Robert Cray and Eric Bibb.

Wholly ****! The man can PLAY guitar. Mamma mia.

It is a shame his albums don't capture the ferocity of his live playing.

I was driving and literally had to pull over...his version of the Beatles "Yer Blues"
is just ridiculous.

I saw him very early in his career when he was still in the wunderkind stage. Even at that point he was a great player, but in need of restraint. There were a couple of other young guns coming up about the same time who one could say the same things of, but they ended up in the Allman Brothers Band, a great place to learn restraint if there ever was one. Listening to The Fillmore Concerts while driving last night it occured to me that it must have been rough duty to be Dickie Betts back then -- to be so young, so gifted, so deserving of the spotlight, and to have to get up on stage every night with another guitar player who could smoke you like a brisket. Duane Allman...my God, where did that come from?

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I saw him very early in his career when he was still in the wunderkind stage. Even at that point he was a great player, but in need of restraint. There were a couple of other young guns coming up about the same time who one could say the same things of, but they ended up in the Allman Brothers Band, a great place to learn restraint if there ever was one. Listening to The Fillmore Concerts while driving last night it occured to me that it must have been rough duty to be Dickie Betts back then -- to be so young, so gifted, so deserving of the spotlight, and to have to get up on stage every night with another guitar player who could smoke you like a brisket. Duane Allman...my God, where did that come from?

Tim
Don't really know kenny wayne, will have to check him out. how bout the classic duane two solos pre-allman bros, on boz skaggs 'loan me a dime'? Tres tasty.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Tim

Well, I must say Betts came into his own later in their career. He also contributed some of their indispensable material.

There are a number of guitarists cut from the Hendrix/Trower mode that each branched off to do slightly different things. Ian Moore is one of my absolute favorites, as is Doyle Bramhall II. Eric Gales had potential but there was no songwriting skill there.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How about Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush? I heard them live many years ago and they only played Hendrix songs. Frank looked like half of the Yin/Yang of Hendrix. Frank had on clothes like Hendrix would have worn complete with leg sash. Frank played with his teeth and behind his back. It was kind of surreal in a way, but man that guy could play like Hendrix.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
How about Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush? I heard them live many years ago and they only played Hendrix songs. Frank looked like half of the Yin/Yang of Hendrix. Frank had on clothes like Hendrix would have worn complete with leg sash. Frank played with his teeth and behind his back. It was kind of surreal in a way, but man that guy could play like Hendrix.

There were a number of guys who actually became borderline Hendrix impersonators like Randy California.

I also really love Uli Jon Roth. An amazing, amazing talent. He took Hendrix obsession to the max. He even dated Monika Danneman, who was with Hendrix when he died.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There were a number of guys who actually became borderline Hendrix impersonators like Randy California.

I also really love Uli Jon Roth. An amazing, amazing talent. He took Hendrix obsession to the max. He even dated Monika Danneman, who was with Hendrix when he died.
Dr. Sardonicus is one of my favorite albums, musically. And Fresh Garbage is a brilliant piece of work. Randy California was cool.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Dr. Sardonicus is one of my favorite albums, musically. And Fresh Garbage is a brilliant piece of work. Randy California was cool.

Ahhhhh...The 12 Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus. I was in a band in the 70s that played side 1 in its entirety. Closest I ever came to a tribute band...

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Ahhhhh...The 12 Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus. I was in a band in the 70s that played side 1 in its entirety. Closest I ever came to a tribute band...

Tim
Worth going back and listening to it if you haven't in a while. They were very adept at mixing jazz, acid rock and good ol' fashioned r & r. You of course know Randy C's connection to Hendrix? Andre mentioned him as an impersonator, but he was tight with Hendrix, played with him, and if his mom had let him go to London, he would have been part of what became the 'Experience,' which I guess meant it wouldn't have been a trio. He drowned as I recall, trying to save his son in the surf in Hawaii some years ago.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You know who else can really pull off Hendrix? Andy Aledort, who i think is an editor at Guitar World or one of those magazines. He doesn't have the stage act to go with his playing, but he's a great guitarist. Another guy -who is totally worth seeing and hearing is Johnny A, whose home town is Boston. Johnny A plays Wes Montgomery jazz style licks (he is usually accompanied by a first rate bassist and a drummer), then overlays all kinds of stuff with a hard, distorted lead line: he can mix 'Over the Rainbow' with Allman Bros, with Hendrix, with Beatles and it all works. As a player, he has incredible skills, and musically, he is wide ranging and fluent in his taste. I make a point to go hear him pretty much everytime he plays in the NY area. He is one of the best guitarists on the circuit, and one of the most enjoyable to listen to, because it isn't all theatrics, it is real musicianship and very tasty.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
+1. Thanks. Guy can rock.

It takes a lot to impress me these days. Besides having a **** load of Hendrix and Thrower
Boots, I have seen Eddie Van Helen, Clapton, Beck, Santana,and many others from the front row.

This show really got my attention.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing