Jupiter Ascending ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Recommended as superb eye candy for your HDTV, not much more. Typical of many Sci Fi's recently, the CGI is amazing, although the overall experience is about as rewarding as watching a HD video game. Includes visual references to past Sci fi's, from Aliens to Sunshine. I don't expect much else from this genre anymore; at least the equally non-memorable Guardians of the Galaxy was a funnier ride, w/better soundtrack. I kinda liked Prometheus on first viewing, but it gets sillier and sillier on every subsequent viewing.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Too many of the new sci-fi films to be awful, all chi as you noted. I saw Prometheus in the theater and had to laugh, it was that dumb.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How good are the visual effects? I have grown tired of imagery that looks to be completely computer generated and doesn't at all feel real. At least Star Wars and such used scale models. These things often don't even blend into the background imagery as far as contrast and lighting.

The thing that gets me is use of computer generated fighter jets and missile. It was nice when they would go to the Navy and get the real thing. Now it just looks too darn fake!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I saw Prometheus in the theater and had to laugh, it was that dumb.

Look, a space cobra ... so cute ...

even Tarantino commented that he kinda liked the movie, but wondered if Scott directed certain scenes to be purposely "dumb".

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
How good are the visual effects? I have grown tired of imagery that looks to be completely computer generated and doesn't at all feel real. At least Star Wars and such used scale models. These things often don't even blend into the background imagery as far as contrast and lighting.

The thing that gets me is use of computer generated fighter jets and missile. It was nice when they would go to the Navy and get the real thing. Now it just looks too darn fake!

Yeah, I hear yeah ... as stated, nice sci fi eye candy is all ... some of the more static scenes did look truly deep & impressive on my hdtv; the action sequences, like most CGI action fests, looked less impressive. That said, I recently watched the first half of Unbroken, its CGI was quite impressive/realistic (the sharks scarier than Bruce). Same goes for Flight, the Denzel movie, loosely based on the tragic Alaskan Airlines flight 261, very realistic CGI.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Jupiter Ascending' | 3D Blu-ray

I'll be doing a mini review from the 3D Blu-ray next week...stay tuned for the latest @ home.

And I won't be biased by all the reviews out there; it'll be my own take from a fresh perspective going into the mind of the two directors and beyond.
And of course the technical aspects; new 3D technology used, visuals with CGI, and audio (sound effects and musical score) ... all in hi-res (Lossless core* Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio) and hi-def (2K - 1080p), acting, storyline, messages if any, set designs, ...all that movie jazz.

* This Blu-ray's main audio soundtrack is in Dolby Atmos.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ok Amir, I'll let you know, from my own perspective, if $27 is worth to see the 3D CGI visuals, to experience the 3D audio immersion (core audio soundtrack), and all else that goes with it. ...From a very modest setup, unlike @ the IMAX theater.

* By the way, $33.55 total here (3D Blu-ray); my cost in loonies (Canadian dollars, tax included).

Fyper

May 16, 2015
Paris
Look, a space cobra ... so cute ...

even Tarantino commented that he kinda liked the movie, but wondered if Scott directed certain scenes to be purposely "dumb".

Promeotheus is an intellectual movie compared to Jupiter Ascending... Even Disney don't dare doing such ridiculous movies anymore...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Promeotheus is an intellectual movie compared to Jupiter Ascending... Even Disney don't dare doing such ridiculous movies anymore...

Well, didn't think Prom was all that "smart" to begin with, and it got less & less "intellectual" on subsequent viewings. I can think of a number of "kids" movies that are much smarter, and more entertaining. Jupiter is a fun escape, I wouldn't expect anything more; good time to eat candy ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing