Joss Stone: The Soul Sessions Vol. 2

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Joss Stone first came upon the music scene when she was only 16 years of age. Her first album, The Soul Sessions was, IMO, amazing. To hear a 16 year old sing with the kind of voice that brings to mind greats like Aretha, Carla Thomas, and Betty Wright, well, that album got a lot of play from me.

220px-Joss_Stone_-_The_Soul_Sessions.jpg

Since that time Joss Stone has put out a few other albums, all of which are just great sounding, almost old school, soul. I guess we might call it neo-soul.

Anyways, Joss Stone now has come out with The Soul Sessions Vol. 2

220px-TheSoulSessionsVolume2.jpg

In the world of contemporary pop, where so many female vocalists have what seems to be 1 or 1 1/2 octave range, Joss Stone stands out from the crowd with a rich soulful voice and IMO puts many of these other currently popular female vocalists to shame. If you like soul music, this album is a must.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Joss Stone first came upon the music scene when she was only 16 years of age. Her first album, The Soul Sessions was, IMO, amazing. To hear a 16 year old sing with the kind of voice that brings to mind greats like Aretha, Carla Thomas, and Betty Wright, well, that album got a lot of play from me.

View attachment 5386

Since that time Joss Stone has put out a few other albums, all of which are just great sounding, almost old school, soul. I guess we might call it neo-soul.

View attachment 5387

In the world of contemporary pop, where so many female vocalists have what seems to be 1 or 1 1/2 octave range, Joss Stone stands out from the crowd with a rich soulful voice and IMO puts many of these other currently popular female vocalists to shame. If you like soul music, this album is a must.

This woman is amazing. Adele should take lessons. How is the sound quality of this new record?

Tim

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

View attachment 5386

View attachment 5387

Thanks Ron. Just ordered both.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I love Joss Stone, and like Ron, I think that she puts many of the current crop of popular female vocalists to shame - and she has done so for the past at least 10 years. About the only album she stumbled on was Introducing Joss Stone (2007). Anyone know why she never got the fame of say Norah Jones?

Another great performance she did with Jeff Beck was on 2 tracks of Emotion and Commotion - one of which I use sparingly for demo's because I love it too much to want it overexposed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
anyone have a recommendation for 'if you are going to buy just one joss stone album...buy this one'?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
anyone have a recommendation for 'if you are going to buy just one joss stone album...buy this one'?

I like Mind, Body & Soul because it's original material. But you won't go wrong with Soul Sessions vol 1 or 2 or LP1.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like Mind, Body & Soul because it's original material. But you won't go wrong with Soul Sessions vol 1 or 2 or LP1.

Check that. Thanks, Gary.

Maumee

Sep 17, 2012
Based on everything I've heard, SS Vol 2 is superior, if only because of her 10 yr. of additional "maturity" in her presentation (at 25! Ha!). Plus, I don't think she's got anything better than "Teardrops" and "The High Road" on her other albums.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
First post and it's about music!! Welcome, Maumee - way to go.

When I was in Gothenburg over the weekend, one of the best received demo music tracks I played was Joss Stone with Jeff Beck on "I Put a Spell On You" - on the album Emotion and Commotion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Maumee

Sep 17, 2012
First post and it's about music!! Welcome, Maumee - way to go.

When I was in Gothenburg over the weekend, one of the best received demo music tracks I played was Joss Stone with Jeff Beck on "I Put a Spell On You" - on the album Emotion and Commotion.

Beck is great on that one, for sure. And, it had a Grammy nomination as well. BUT, even though I'm a great Joss Stone fan, I was spoiled by far and away the most popular version, Nina Simone's jaw-dropping version. Hunt that one up. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck & it will go straight into your collection. But, even Simone's version was a cover. The original was performed (and made a hit) by a certified lunatic named "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" (who played it on video as a voodoo witch doctor, with a bone in his nose). Not as awe inspiring as Simone's, but it has its moments of brilliance, and it's hilarious. The list of covers is almost endless and I'm sure SJH retired in comfort off of those royalties alone. Love Joss S. but, afraid she comes in 3rd on that classic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was spoiled by far and away the most popular version, Nina Simone's jaw-dropping version. Hunt that one up. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck & it will go straight into your collection. But, even Simone's version was a cover.

Agree on how good her "I Put a Spell on You" is...her Best of Nina Simone is a great, great album and well mastered/recorded.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing