James Cameron does something only two humans have ever done before!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For your information on James Cameron and his submarine and what he's doin' for National Geographic and science, know this:

He intends to do more plunges into the ocean depths, and that one lasted a very short period of time and nothing useful for science.

In Canada, we have special cameras and instrumentations that are much deeper on the ocean floor, and they are gathering useful information for tsunamis, earthquakes, lifeforms, temperatures of the Earth at several depth levels, and many more scientific measurements beneficial for mankind. This is the real stuff. And not a la James Cameron with his own egocentric monetary pursuit, with his touch of celebrity (Hollywood fame type of). He's a Canadian too.

Please, google what I just said, and be illuminated on truly what's going on, and who really is working for the scientific society in the benefit of mankind.
James Cameron's stunt is nothing much scientific wise. It is just that, a personal stunt.

* Cool stuff: http://www.deepsea.com/pdf/articles/Into the Trench_Part_2.pdf

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Personally, I don't believe it to be a stunt. Anyone who descends 7 miles below the surface of the ocean and spends 3 hours there IMO is doing this for more than a personal stunt. He is considered an Explorer by the National Geographic Society and has made countless deep dives.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steve, I watched a short scientific interview on James Cameron's last "stunt", by a real science critic from CBC news Canada on the Internet the other day. And what James Cameron is doing is absolutely nothing compared to what true scientific researches are already doing with ultra-fancy instrumentations that are gathering real beneficial information on the ocean floor (very deep), and that are there 24 hours, 7 days, 365 and nothing like only 3 hours!
Those machines collecting pictures and useful info are working non-stop 24/7!
No way you can collect anything useful for science in only 3 hours!
And more deep dives won't do nothing else for him but to feed his own "drive" (dive).

Please, google around and you'll see what I mean...

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bob

I am sure that what you say is correct however I just don't feel that what he did was a stunt. If you read the details where he literally could not move or stretch his legs. Temperature inside before the descent was over 100 and 39 degrees at the ocean bottom. Also the pressure there caused his vessel to be pushed in 3 inches and if anything went wrong it would have been the end of him.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, I agree with Steve. According to your theory, all great explorers were nothing more than publicity seekers and stuntmen. If I apply your logic to the space race, then you could say the same about the astronauts and the landing by man on the moon.:eek:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, I agree too with you both; but Mr. Cameron is pumping us more than he should!
He's talkin' 'bout science with his dives ... They are more for their records and numbers.

* And of course Steve; a stunt is always risky, or it wouldn't be call a 'stunt'.
Stuntmen sometimes died and survived ... That's their job to impress with impossible exploits.
I'm sure James is a good guy (I read quite a bit 'bout him),
but he's also a funny guy in his own peculiar way.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bet james can make it a bit more interesting by editing:D
What james does i would never call stunting , imagine the preparation involved ??

Apparently James Cameron only saw some ravenous shrimp on his journey to the deep. Not sure what a ravenous shrimp looks like, LOL:). Nonetheless, the news footage of this momentous event is shockingly poor, IMHO. ( not talking about the shrimp find;) )

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'Stunt'; plunge into the abyss, deep into the ocean, ... is just an expression, nothing more nothing less. It's a very risky 'manoeuvre', so it is a 'stunt' in a sense.

If just a small mechanical failure would have materialised, that could have been catastrophic, fatal!

* By the way, 'Titanic' is comin' back to the theaters, in 3D.
...Perhaps the general public would finally have access to 'Avatar 3D' on Blu-ray,
by that time!!? ...Or at that time? ...Or around that time, perhaps after?

Yup, an interesting Canadian specimen character that James Cameron guy, fo sur.
Im my own personal book, he's a big investor (money).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing