iTunes plug-ins

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I see it, an impulse response file is very different from filter coefficients. They are not interchangeable in any practical way. The tools needed to create them and the applications needed to use them are very different.
I know they are in different domains. I mentioned the same in my post and didn't say you can interchange the parameters. It is customary in Room EQ products to talk about computing the "filter coefficient" whether you the product actually operates in time domain as yours, or frequency domain.

If you read my post in the context of the text I quoted you should see that I was not proposing foo_dsp_yac as the ultimate in room correction software but I was offering it as an audio filter plugin that changes filter characteristics based on the tags associated with the audio file, which is what Phelonious Ponk said he wanted.
I didn't try to position your plug-in one way or the other. Your plug-in requires an input file. I did not see a reference in the other thread how to get one. That's all I was asking you to go over. I hear you saying go and get one of many out there. It is not a useful suggestion in the context of telling people who don't know what these things do one way or the other. The iTunes EQ doesn't require one to go and find impulse files.

I don't know how asking a simple question to explain more turned into this argumentative back and forth :(.

Tam Lin

Mar 20, 2011
North Texas
foo_dsp_yac is “Yet Another Convolver.” The “Yet Another…” prefix is common amongst programmers who are often producing yet another version of something. The assumption in the Foobar write-up was that the plugin might be appropriate for some one looking for a convolver that did a little more than the several other Foobar convolver plugins and that the reader knew something about convolution. Since this forum appears to chock-full of self-proclaimed audio experts I didn’t think more explanation was needed.

Then you asked where to get the filter coefficients. That question suggested you didn’t know anything about convolution. Perhaps if you asked where to get impulse response files I would have given an answer more to your liking. Then you asked how to use foo_dsp_yac for room correction. That question suggested you hadn’t read or understood anything I’d written. As I said, I’m not an audio expert, but why would someone want to vary the room correction filter response based on file tags, which is what foo_dsp_yac is all about? Aren’t the audio characteristics of a room constant?

It’s obvious no one will benefit from my continued participation in this forum. Bye.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It’s obvious no one will benefit from my continued participation in this forum. Bye.
Tam, your participation is appreciated. So much so that my first response to you was a "soft ball" as to give you a chance to explain more about what you had built. That you turned that into an argument with me was the source of disappointment in voice. If you don't want to come back, that's OK. But don't do it because you misunderstood my intention.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing