iPhone 5 News, Feature Rumors, Concept Images & 3D Render Video

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Can't they leave the damn dock connector plug alone.

We're all really tired of buying new chargers and connectors each time a phone is changed.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Can you imagine the new docks that third party manufacturers of accessories will sell?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It'll be a mild paiin, an adapter will be needed for the new phone to work with older stuff, but time marches on. Present dock connector dates back to an early iteration of the iPod, so '05 at least. That's old in computer terms. There's constant push to shrink everything for a smaller phone or laptop, or to create space for a larger battery or whatever else. The new micro-sim will debut in this gen too.

Apple's never been afraid to shake things up this way if they see real benefit in the tradeoff to the product. Other examples include dropping optical drives from laptops and then an Ethernet port. Fact is, the market has ultimately agreed with their choices Hey, some PC laptops still have a VGA port -- go figure

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It'll be a mild paiin, an adapter will be needed for the new phone to work with older stuff, but time marches on. Present dock connector dates back to an early iteration of the iPod, so '05 at least. That's old in computer terms. There's constant push to shrink everything for a smaller phone or laptop, or to create space for a larger battery or whatever else. The new micro-sim will debut in this gen too.

Apple's never been afraid to shake things up this way if they see real benefit in the tradeoff to the product. Other examples include dropping optical drives from laptops and then an Ethernet port. Fact is, the market has ultimately agreed with their choices Hey, some PC laptops still have a VGA port -- go figure

I'm with you Bob

New dock is far from a deal breaker for me

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The new dock isn't a deal breaker, it's just a pain in the ass.

The micro USB is fine with me, except that isn't what they are doing either.

Why can't that stuff be standardized like the XLR or RCA connectors?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
If it supports 4G and, hopefully, addresses the issue of the ear accidentally activating certain screen functions (e.g. mute), I'm all in...regardless of the connector.

On my 4S the ear thing is no longer an issue. Same with my wife's 4. I thing 4G is a given.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
On my 4S the ear thing is no longer an issue. Same with my wife's 4. I thing 4G is a given.

My first 4 had the problem and both Apple and Verizon tried to make recommendations on how to address it. I tried them all and none worked. Apple then gave me a new 4 and it did the same thing in the parking lot leaving the Apple store. My previous iPhone never exhibited that "feature".

It does not happen to everyone but I do know a number of individuals who have the 4 (and 4s) with the same issue. VERY annoying. VERY!

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing