iOs 6 Map blunder?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Apple is not known to make such mistakes but here we are with its replacement for Google maps apparently way behind the curve: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409944,00.asp

"6 Ways Google Maps Beats Apple iOS 6 Maps

One of the most significant updates to iOS 6 is Apple's new Maps application, which replaces Google Maps as the default, pre-loaded app. It's widely believed Apple did this to scale back its reliance on a major competitor for a key part of its mobile operating system.

It's less likely, though still possible, that Google's licensing terms became too onerous, or that Apple wanted to activate voice navigation for free and Google refused, since the built-in, voice-enabled Google Maps Navigation app has been one of Android's traditional competitive advantages.

Whatever the reason, I was hoping Apple was going to come out of the gate strongly with its own Maps app. After all, Apple has a pretty good history of doing just that. It looks at the market, see what other competitors have done, and then comes in with its own product that often upends existing ideas and with an extra dose of polish.

Unfortunately, it appears that we didn't get this at all. Apple Maps looks gorgeous, and functions well enough on a basic level. But early impressions are that it's a 1.0 app in a 6.0 OS."

Read the link for the rest....

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
All those who think that Apple's "It just works" slogan is true ... feast your eyes on this: http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Yesterday evening, some guy turned up late for dinner because he couldn't find the restaurant. His excuse? "Sorry I updated to iOS 6 today, lost my Google maps, and Apple maps tried to send me to a restaurant with the same name in New York". We had a good laugh, and that was when he realized that the most important apps on his iPhone was Google Maps, and Google Translate. Guess who is now thinking of switching to Android.

Enjoy your Apple maps, guys. In the meantime, I don't think i'll be inviting anyone who owns an iPhone out for dinner.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The mapps app is the single reason why I'm holding out upgrading my iPhones. I have been testing iOS 6 for a few months on my iPad, and the mapps app hasn't improved a whole lot. It is pretty and all, but not very accurate.

Apple is actually known for making such mistakes. Apple is not a services company (unlike Google), and it has a very poor track record in this field.

Here's a golden opportunity for Nokiasoft (or Microkia) to come out with a competing Apple product on the leading smartphone, while Google is too busy laughing at Apple for the major f*ckup. Bing Maps is actually not bad (at all).

alexandre

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Google Maps leverage not only the Google's vast software experience but also their nearly unique cloud technology. Is Apple's cloud technology as advanced? Is it wise to go around challenging everyone on all fronts? Apple seems to be doing just that . In this attitude lays great danger as companies, equals in might to Apple may band to fight the common enemy ...Meanwhile a powerful outsider , Microsoft, wet dreams is to get a foothold in this space ...
That kind of behavior point toward hubris , if I would be permitted this amateur psychological diagnostic. It is not unknown in the corporations to behave in this fashion taking the behavior and whims of one or a group of human leaders as opposed to a course of actions that value the welfare of the corporation itself ... That usually leads to disaster. ... It wasn't more than a decade that Microsoft could do no wrong.. they haven't made it to the mobile space (yet?) where all the actions seems to be ..Caveat Emptor ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing