Interest in early 70s rock RTR tapes

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
So I'm reading a bunch of 'where to find tapes' type of threads, and many if not all of them have to do with classical, jazz, choral, etc. Frankly, while I appreciate the music, it's not to my personal tastes, as I'm a rock guy, and usually the harder the better. :)

I've done some work for a local radio guy that has access to some master tapes that he's remastering digitally. Among them are some tapes (well, at least one that I know of) by Terry Jacks, who had a number of big hits in the early 70s. I've seen, touched and heard the master tape, 16 track 1". I'm sure he's also got access to others. Generally Vancouver bands, or at least West Coast Canadian.

So I was wondering, since I'll link him to this thread, would there be any interest by any of you if he were to mix some 1/4 track 1/2" 15 or 30 IPS semi masters? At what price point?

I'm just throwing this out there, not sure if it will go anywhere. I guess it would depend on the artist, the music rights, and how many people would be interested.

thanks!
Curt

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think that most of the people here that are set up for tape are those that can play 1/4" 15 ips 2 track tapes. We have a few that can play 1/2" two track tapes.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
That's what I figured. I know the guy has a pile of RTR decks in good shape, I personally have an MCI 1/2 track 1/4" that does 30IPS as well. It's completely stock, but freq response is well past 20Khz at 15. My Nakamichi tape analyzer can't measure past 20Khz...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Lets hope the labels/artists don't get wind of it. You'll be in court for the rest of your life!

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Lets hope the labels/artists don't get wind of it. You'll be in court for the rest of your life!

Well no, the idea is that he'd be working WITH the artists.. I wouldn't post if it was illegal...

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I guess it would depend on the artist, the music rights, and how many people would be interested.
Curt

Exactly :D
I could go for 1/4" or 1/2".
What would be the dupe chain?

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I don't know, I'll link him to this thread...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing