If you could have one album re-mastered what would it be?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bruce Springsteen...most of the albums i have heard, particularly
- Born in the USA
- Darkness on the Edge of Town

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Emmylou Harris-Spyboy.
The original is good,but when I heard the remastered Wrecking Ball album which is outstanding, I hope they might remaster Spyboy.

Reactions: Lagonda

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
CD or LP? LPs sound fine. CDs would only sound good on an MSB, like Mike has :)

LP, and to add I have never heard an MSB I didnt like, a lot!

Yeah, out of all the Rush albums, I wouldn't pick "Signals" as the one needing better (re)mastering. I kinda like that not-quite-fully-80s-new-wave production. Of course, soon after that they'd totally lose it with the follow up, that was 80s through and through. "Signals" is the last truly good Rush album.

Mostly agree, they lost me for awhile after Signals but I do like Power Windows,Counterparts and love Clockwork Angels, the music is amazing but the recording is shite.

I think I have it as a SHM-SACD. Unbearable to listen to. Needs the Steven Wilson remix magic.

I completely agree here about SW magic and also adds to my inability to throw money at something that probably does not exist.

Yeah I got that SACD as well. That one was actually WORSE than a regular CD I also had lying around. Shameful. Those SHM-SACDs were pretty hit and miss, BTW.

I have the SHM of Steely Dan Aja and like it alot.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That's one of my faves well! But quickly going through my digital versions, none of them are downright offensive. The (recent remaster) CD and 24/96 are similar, loud and punchy. The MFSL is their usual job, soft and muted. The 24/48 is my fave, along with the MQA, which seems to actually be derived from the 24/48 files, as they're fairly similar (MQA slightly more natural).

In comparison, the previous album, "Moving Pictures", is far flatter sounding, less punchy, lacking low-end, etc.

Moving Pictures on my original vinyl sounds pretty ok, as does my Hemispheres. My original vinyl Signals, bought in 1983, sounds just ok as do all the remasters I have heard. It is not that it is offensive...just a bit murky or "congealed" sounding. Separation of instruments is kind of poor and "hear through" factor is fairly low.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Only one real wish for me.

The entire David Bowie back catalogue to be remastered AGAIN - however correctly like the awesome job Ken Scott did on Ziggy a few years back - in analog and preserving the original UK mixes and masters..

The vinyl remasters that they have been doing over the past couple of years with the box sets have been an absolute insult to Bowie's legacy so bad they sound. digitally smoothed over to remove almost every bit of life from the recordings, bass pumped - nothing like the attack and vitality the original UK pressings have.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Emmylou Harris-Spyboy.
The original is good,but when I heard the remastered Wrecking Ball album which is outstanding, I hope they might remaster Spyboy.
And release it on vinyl ! Wrecking ball came out great.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lyle Lovett, Pontiac.

Reactions: Bobvin and Ovenmitt

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Careful what you wish for, these days its very likely that a "Remaster" will sound WORSE than the original you think sounds bad now. Sad but true.

BUT...

If I were to assume that a particular "modern remaster" will sound better than its original my choice would be:

Every Album by TOOL that was created after "Undertow".

Dude went off the rails with compression after the first album but the content is so good I listen to it anyway. It could be so much better though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rush Vapor Trails
The remaster needs a remaster!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
th.jpg
Might have been done already.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Quick story.
I grew up in a a particularly tuff neighborhood in D.C. I recently walked through it to discover that at the base of East Capitol Street NE where it crossed the Maryland line adjacent to the Capitol Heights Metro Station they had constructed the Marvin Gaye Memorial Park. It was filthy. I began to clean it up. It mostly involved picking up trash. After spending the better part of a day, I was finished . I lay exhausted on one of the benches. At that point someone emerged from the recreation center with two bottles of ice cold water. After drinking them I went back to my childhood home. True story.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Quick story.
I grew up in a a particularly tuff neighborhood in D.C. I recently walked through it to discover that at the base of East Capitol Street NE where it crossed the Maryland line adjacent to the Capitol Heights Metro Station they had constructed the Marvin Gaye Memorial Park. It was filthy. I began to clean it up. It mostly involved picking up trash. After spending the better part of a day, I was finished . I lay exhausted on one of the benches. At that point someone emerged from the recreation center with two bottles of ice cold water. After drinking them I went back to my childhood home. True story.

Thats how you change the world. Thank you. :eek:

Reactions: Bobvin

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Hands down, Queen 2. Do I win?

tpsully99

VIP/Donor
Jan 11, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
How about the early Steely Dan albums? I think they lost the masters, however. Sad
Tom

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Brothers and Sisters, Eat a Peach, or Chicago Transit Authority.

Great live and the music aged well relative to the period.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Bruce Hornsby's The way it is album that was horribly mangled by Steven Marcussen needs to be properly redone.

Reactions: Brucemck2

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
War, “The World is a Ghetto”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing