I can't believe it

As I say all the time, it is a matter of system. You can have the best preamplifier in the world (something that does not exist ...) and if it does not match your system (room included) it will not sound good.

So true micro. System matching is everything. In hindsight, I wish I had used a different preamp with the Pass Labs X-250. It didn’t work worth a damn with my 5.1 and I blamed the amp and sold it. I would love to hear it again.

Recently I also went solid state for a few days - a complete Krell system using their entry models - S300i and S350i CD. Not bad, but I still prefer my tubes (unhappily as they are 10 times more expensive).

I have never owned any Krell gear so I have no first-hand experience with it in my system. People seem to be of two minds with Krell. They either love the gear for a number of good reasons-build quality, Class A circuitry, power, bass slam; or they hate Krell gear for sounding cold and sterile.

And of course we should never judge an entire technology based on one company’s design implementation. I’m just keeping my ears open and learning a few things along the way.

An electronics engineer told me once that Krell uses power supply transistors in its output to provide that slam and extra low impedance and control, an otherwise inappropriate device for musicality. Take it for what it's worth. I had a single Krell mega amp in my audio career, and it lasted about 1 month because of its lack of musicality...

For whatever reason, I have never lusted after Krell gear which is why I have never owned any.

I have never owned any Krell gear so I have no first-hand experience with it in my system. People seem to be of two minds with Krell. They either love the gear for a number of good reasons-build quality, Class A circuitry, power, bass slam; or they hate Krell gear for sounding cold and sterile.
+1

I have not heard a Krell centred setup that did not have major flaws.

Frank

My Counterpoint SA-5.1 came back tonight and I have it hooked back up to the system. News later.

The guy that sold me the C2a has been begging me to sell it back to him. I told him before that I might consider it after I hear the 5.1 when it comes back. After last night's listening session, I told him this morning that I was keeping it. He was happy to see that a C2a has popped up on Ebay and he is hoping to win the auction. I took a look a the pictures and it clearly is not in as nice physical shape as the one he sold me. With 6 days left in the auction, there are 6 bidders and the price is over $160. It would be funny if he had to pay more for a C2a that was not as nice as the one he sold me. But not real funny.

Hey Mark.

Is my old C2a still treating you well ?

While searching for the amount of gain of the step-up I came across your post today.

I bought that C2a on eBay that you mention, which turned out to be a lot nicer than it looked ...but when I got it there was one channel out. The seller offered to let me send it back or keep it for $50. So, I kept it and gave it to a buddy of mine to rebuild. He installed all new and upgraded caps in the power supply and both phono stages, as well as in the moving coil head-amp. The regulated power supply, DC balance of the phono stage and the the DC balance of the line amp stage have all been calibrated, as well as the stage bias current. All Molex connectors for input and output connections to the main board have been cleaned and treated with Tweek and all solder joints have been freshened up. In total, 66 parts were replaced/upgraded.

So, for $300 total, I was back in business. Needless to say it sounds great and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Thanks for teaching me a valuable lesson.

Dean.

Dean,
I'm glad you recovered! I have written countless posts on this forum about how good the C2a is. For the money, it's simply mind-blowing. The phono stage alone is worth far, far more than the asking price for the preamp. I hate to tell you that I recently sold the Yamaha. At the time, I had both the Krell KBL and the Krell KRC-HR and I just didn't want to leave the C2a sitting around and not being used. I'm glad you found another one. With all of the upgrades and maintenance, it should be killer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing