I am ignorant...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Help me understand — tonearm wiring... I am doing something new to me, and that is installing an AMG 12JT “turbo” tonearm on my v12 turntable.

Question 1) how firm should the tonearm wire female receptacles be when slipped over the cartridge pins? In my case they slipped over the pins rather easily, without needing much force. But they are on all the way. Given how tiny and delicate these are I would be a lot timid to squeeze them.

Question 2) whats up with the tonearm wires in that they don’t seem separated from each other as they leave the cartridge and enter the armtube? Do they not need insulation between them, or is this wire coated with an insulating layer of some kind? (Litz wire?) It appears to be bare copper.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
You could pinch the 'clips' a bit to make them grip more (NOT while they are attached to the cart pins) but long as they aren't sliding about they are probably fine. At least they aren't so tight that you fear damaging the cart pins ;)

As to the tonearm wires they must be coated...wouldn't worry.

Save some patience for the alignment to come!

Reactions: Bobvin and Mr Rickz

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Reactions: Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
here are some alternative products that you might consider that are cheap that can allow a step up or down in wire gauges. designed to solve exactly the problem you are facing.

https://www.needledoctor.com/accessories/turntable-parts/cartridge-clips-tonearm-wire

likely there are more choices out there if you look.

be cautious messing about in that area.:eek:

Thanks Mike, but I have no intention of messing with the existing wiring in the new tonearm. When removing the cartridge leads of the original tonearm, they seemed to take a wee-bit of effort to slide off. When sliding the leads of the new tonearm onto the cartridge pins, they seemed to go on with very little effort, making me question if they are making a really good connection. Mostly I'm afraid these old hands which used to work with 3' and 4' wrenches on an oil platform in the Gulf will not have the delicate touch needed to squeeze the leads "just a bit". A job for a surgeon, not an old rough-neck. I'll probably enlist the help of a friend with more experience in such matters.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you and your friend run into any trouble feel free to give me a shout. Happy to add a third voice...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks Mike, but I have no intention of messing with the existing wiring in the new tonearm. When removing the cartridge leads of the original tonearm, they seemed to take a wee-bit of effort to slide off. When sliding the leads of the new tonearm onto the cartridge pins, they seemed to go on with very little effort, making me question if they are making a really good connection. Mostly I'm afraid these old hands which used to work with 3' and 4' wrenches on an oil platform in the Gulf will not have the delicate touch needed to squeeze the leads "just a bit". A job for a surgeon, not an old rough-neck. I'll probably enlist the help of a friend with more experience in such matters.
. . .

I'll probably enlist the help of a friend with more experience in such matters.

That is exactly what I would do, Bob.

The closest I ever want to get to a cartridge is rhe tonearm lift lever.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
Help me understand — tonearm wiring... I am doing something new to me, and that is installing an AMG 12JT “turbo” tonearm on my v12 turntable.

Question 1) how firm should the tonearm wire female receptacles be when slipped over the cartridge pins? In my case they slipped over the pins rather easily, without needing much force. But they are on all the way. Given how tiny and delicate these are I would be a lot timid to squeeze them.

Question 2) whats up with the tonearm wires in that they don’t seem separated from each other as they leave the cartridge and enter the armtube? Do they not need insulation between them, or is this wire coated with an insulating layer of some kind? (Litz wire?) It appears to be bare copper.
Just be VERY careful with those clips and wires. They are very delicate on the AMG arms and easily broken.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing