How large is the high end audio market?

Andorra

Jul 27, 2014
FWIW, about 2.5 million tax returns show over $250,000 a year, so the POTENTIAL market is very large -

I'm wondering how many of those 2.5 million have any interest in sitting in front of a forest of KT-90s on a warm summer day...

If we define the high-end market as those who have boutique audio brands in their home, and who might be in the market in the near term for more boutique items, I think we're talking under 100,000 households - basically the Stereophile subscriber list plus some Wall Street guys and a handful of new converts.

If we're talking $10,000 current stereos and up, I'd think it would be far less.

Anybody know how many Maggies get sold in a year? That would be a good start

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
did you read the feature set carefully? Its not only a high end headphone amp that can drive orthotics through balanced XLRs, but an asynchronous USB DAC Up to 384 kHz and DSD256! it has balanced/SE analog input and outputs and a remote controlled preamp section. Add active speakers with the ability to add an add'l analog source and this could be the heart of a killer little system. for $1200, its a helluva deal...
Well, the DAC and USB functionality from the review I am going by for the Oppo said they are OK but not great, what makes it a great product is its headphone amp capabilities.
For the price you get OK USB and DAC capabilities in terms of high end, but excellent headphone amp, and the headphone itself is also just over $1000 (agree that is a great price considering its spec-build-performance but not exactly low price when considering headphones).
So fits my point high end headphones is skewing as well IMO when a manufacturer such as Oppo are known for good products at competitive prices (many will bulk at these prices even though we may appreciate it is worth the price).

Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well, the DAC and USB functionality from the review I am going by for the Oppo said they are OK but not great, what makes it a great product is its headphone amp capabilities.
For the price you get OK USB and DAC capabilities in terms of high end, but excellent headphone amp, and the headphone itself is also just over $1000 (agree that is a great price considering its spec-build-performance but not exactly low price when considering headphones).
So fits my point high end headphones is skewing as well IMO when a manufacturer such as Oppo are known for good products at competitive prices (many will bulk at these prices even though we may appreciate it is worth the price).

Cheers
Orb

According to one review. Who? The functionality certainly isn't new DAC/Headphone amp combos have been done, cheaper and more expensive.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
According to one review. Who? The functionality certainly isn't new DAC/Headphone amp combos have been done, cheaper and more expensive.

Tim

I already said Tim, Keith Howard; very knowledgable about headphones (proved headband resonance is a real audible effect) and DACs (done plenty there regarding co-efficients-etc), done investigative articles for Stereophile, HifiNews,etc. Used to chair one of the technical AES committees and used to often present in the UK one, I could go on :)

Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I already said Tim, Keith Howard; very knowledgable about headphones (proved headband resonance is a real audible effect) and DACs (done plenty there regarding co-efficients-etc), done investigative articles for Stereophile, HifiNews,etc. Used to chair one of the technical AES committees and used to often present in the UK one, I could go on :)

Cheers
Orb
DA

Didn't mean to challenge, Orb, just didn't see the source. What is meant by "OK USB and DAC capabilities in terms of high-end?"

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
DA

Didn't mean to challenge, Orb, just didn't see the source. What is meant by "OK USB and DAC capabilities in terms of high-end?"

Tim
NP.
I will try to find it online, if not will take time to post snippets from the review; basically he found the USB and DAC capabilities lowered its "performance" in terms of listening.
Using quotes as generalising here.
Cheers
Orb

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Having heard the 105 in high end systems, it sure sounds like a high end DAC to me. High end without the high end price tag. You don't need to spend more than a grand to get true high end digital sound IMHO. My 95 via the analog outs sounds superb too in the HT room.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The power of the internet and reviews wanted by companies :)
Found the review online.
Just to say Tim the review says the product is excellent but the part picking up in context of high end is when it is also used as a DAC-pre-headphone amp rather than just headphone capabilities:
HiFi News review Keith Howard said:
I achieved good if unexceptional results. I was reminded a bit of the Meridian Prime headphone amplifier (HFN Feb'14)
OK please everyone appreciate this is just one sentence and does not describe the product fully, it does seem to be pretty exceptional in terms of its headphone amp capabilities.
http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/Reviews/HFN_Oppo HA-1.pdf
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing