HiFiMan HE-1000 Headphones vs Reference Speakers ?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The 1000s are very nice headphones. The sonics are terrific, with a highly resolving and engaging "liquid and fluid" flavor that is a lot less analytical, but no less detailed, than my Sennheiser 800s. They are also very comfortable over extended listening. I use both with a Decware Taboo Mk3 amp (fed by my MSB and VTL gear), which is a very nice match.

That being said, the experience is very different than reference loudspeakers.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The 1000s are very nice headphones. The sonics are terrific, with a highly resolving and engaging "liquid and fluid" flavor that is a lot less analytical, but no less detailed, than my Sennheiser 800s. They are also very comfortable over extended listening. I use both with a Decware Taboo Mk3 amp (fed by my MSB and VTL gear), which is a very nice match.

That being said, the experience is very different than reference loudspeakers.

They are some on other forums that will disagree with you too!:D

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I tried a pair on AXONA 2015, and was blown away by the the level of clarity and detail I heard. Much to my regret it was too short a listening session, as it was closing time. I wish I would have gone back another day to hear more. I'm not a headphone guy, more a planer/Maggie guy. However HiFiMan HE-1000's really stood out compared to other headphones even other planer type headphones.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
After two decades of no restriction to my listening loudly to speakers (big 6000 cu ft apartment, living alone), I'm next year to relocate to possibly a smaller space, and another body at home.
She's HIGHLY understanding (you'd get that if you knew me), but it's going to be a struggle to turn up the wick, and a smaller room will somewhat compromise my acoustics.
Is this the time to consider headphones, and esp a pair like these?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
After two decades of no restriction to my listening loudly to speakers (big 6000 cu ft apartment, living alone), I'm next year to relocate to possibly a smaller space, and another body at home.
She's HIGHLY understanding (you'd get that if you knew me), but it's going to be a struggle to turn up the wick, and a smaller room will somewhat compromise my acoustics.
Is this the time to consider headphones, and esp a pair like these?

If you have to give up loudspeakers, these are some of the best -- IF mated to a terrific front end. The only that I've heard that were better in terms of resolving power were top of the line Stax (I've not heard the Abyss), and those lacked the comfort and "ease" of the HF1000s. The Stax are more resolving, but, I didn't want to listen for several hours; I relished the electrostatic detail for 30 minutes and was then brain fried from excessive analysis of the details. In that way the HF1000s are more like big Maggies and the Stax are more like Martin Logan CLS's.

That being said, I'd try to get the love of my life to allow an unobtrusive small stand mount two way, and share the front end with the headphone rig, because there will be times you'll want the feeling of loudspeakers in space.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I'm still hoping to buy a place w/an outbuilding to not skip a beat in playing my Zus loud and proud. My ploy is to misbehave as much as poss so I get banished from the main house fairly frequently, 3hrs/day will suffice!
But if I do have to end up in the corner of the shared lounge, w/a pair of cans, these may be them.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing