Hello from Toronto, Canada

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
New Member here- I have been lurking for some time and find the atmosphere, topics and range of discussion very civil and relevant to my world. A lot of knowledgeable members with very sophisticated systems.

Hope to participate and add value to the group while continuing to learn in this hobby I've enjoyed for over 30years.

Thanks,

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
New Member here- I have been lurking for some time and find the atmosphere, topics and range of discussion very civil and relevant to my world. A lot of knowledgeable members with very sophisticated systems.

Hope to participate and add value to the group while continuing to learn in this hobby I've enjoyed for over 30years.

Thanks,

Welcome to WBF and a pleasant Sunday to you.

I was born and raised in Toronto. A wonderful city

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Welcome to WBF and a pleasant Sunday to you.

I was born and raised in Toronto. A wonderful city

Thank you, Steve. Toronto has become very cosmopolitan - still like visiting my friends who left from university here in Canada for the The Bay Area though- the weather and geography are hard to beat.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF!

I know well and I like a lot several of your components: Benz Micro LP, Io, tube amplifiers, Quads . . . I know I would like how your system sounds!

I am not the only member here who would be very grateful for a detailed comparison of the Koetsu RSP and the Benz LP!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to welcome a Futterman H3 / Quad USA Monitor owner! I had a few very enjoyable sessions with such system, paired with an ARC SP8 and Oracle/Koetsu front end.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Welcome to WBF!

I know well and I like a lot several of your components: Benz Micro LP, Io, tube amplifiers, Quads . . . I know I would like how your system sounds!

I am not the only member here who would be very grateful for a detailed comparison of the Koetsu RSP and the Benz LP!

Thank you Ron.

I will try to find the time to pull together impressions of the Benz and the Koetsu RS... for now... the Koetsu when dialed in is extremely expressive and emotional in what it does best. The Platinum option with the Rosewood body leave a shimmery detail that is really hard to describe .. I love it. The bottom end well.. I can live with it based on everything else it does so well.

The Benz is a better all rounder but does not draw me in..

I am shopping right now for a new cartridge to replace the Benz ... Atlas, Goldfinger or possibly a Dynavector XVts

Nick

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Great to welcome a Futterman H3 / Quad USA Monitor owner! I had a few very enjoyable sessions with such system, paired with an ARC SP8 and Oracle/Koetsu front end.

Probably the clearest amps to the source ever in my experience. Mine is heavily modified. Futterman can be grainy but man it can scrub layers of haze out.. we just don't realize how much is there in some other designs. No explosions either. I think all that was really urban myths that were perpetuated over time. My Berning could do this and got close as well with a far better bottom end... but there was something about the Futterman that was more compelling to me.

The only other amp that has real world speaker driving power that offers another illusion that is quite uncanny is the Wyetech Topaz SET... it is all industrial power supply and about 125lbs . The other might be the Lamm SET mono blocks.

All of it just the illusion we accept and try to develop that suits our own senses.... its all fun!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your initial impressions on the cartridges.

I am currently looking for a cartridge as well. Have you considered a stone body Koetsu (which is supposed to firm up the bottom end of the RSP without losing any of the midrange magic) or the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your initial impressions on the cartridges.

I am currently looking for a cartridge as well. Have you considered a stone body Koetsu (which is supposed to firm up the bottom end of the RSP without losing any of the midrange magic) or the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme?

Hi,

I actually ruled out another Koetsu - even the stone body. I want to try something different. While the stone bodied cartridges would get me more in the direction I want to go.... I thought I would move toward the other choices I mentioned -simply just for a change.

Thanks.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Kcin and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum sir. We hope that you enjoy the discussions with our members. Nice system you have assembled there. ;)

Tom

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hello Kcin and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum sir. We hope that you enjoy the discussions with our members. Nice system you have assembled there. ;)

Tom

Thank you Tom,... I feel very warmly welcomed already. Thanks to all.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Kcin and welcome to the forum. May I ask which version of stacked Quads you have?

Sam

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Kcin and welcome to the forum. May I ask which version of stacked Quads you have?

Sam

Hello Sam,

Thanks, I have stacked Quad ESL 57's rebuilt by Wayne Piquet in Florida. Also, I just rebuilt my Quad USA monitor's with Wayne's panels- which are fabulous. I highly recommend Wayne's work- I believe he's the best of all the Quad restorers for panels-- & I have had multiple samples from others.

Right now, the Quads are taken down as I just rebuilt my room and had to get them out of the way. However, I'm using them in another area near-field as a single not stacked and I just can't seem to get away from what they do well. Stacking gives you more volume but the singles, when rebuilt, and with the right equipment are terrific.

In the main room -I set up the Beveridge's when I moved back in- they can be scary good too in other ways.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 62

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Kcin,

Thanks for the answer.
A few years ago, I made a down payment to Wayne for a pair of his stacked Quads. After some time, he told me that he had gotten very ill and spent the down payment for his medication. He asked me for the remaining balance with no assurance of a delivery date. I lost my trust in him and that was the way things were left. Should you ever want to sell your Wayne Piquet stacked Quads, please let me know.
I am currently listening to a pair of Mark Levinson stacked Quads driven by a pair of Lamm M1.2.
Enjoy your music, you have really wonderful equipment for music reproduction.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Kcin,

Thanks for the answer.
A few years ago, I made a down payment to Wayne for a pair of his stacked Quads. After some time, he told me that he had gotten very ill and spent the down payment for his medication. He asked me for the remaining balance with no assurance of a delivery date. I lost my trust in him and that was the way things were left. Should you ever want to sell your Wayne Piquet stacked Quads, please let me know.
I am currently listening to a pair of Mark Levinson stacked Quads driven by a pair of Lamm M1.2.
Enjoy your music, you have really wonderful equipment for music reproduction.

Thank you very much Sam.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I have had panels rebuilt by Wayne for 3 different sets of speakers and I have not had an issue- I can understand your trepidation.

Panel rebuilding is not my forte , although I was trained formally as an EE.. I just don't have the patience and the desire to ride the learning curve. My quads have the Enquist power supplies and have been totally electrically and cosmetically refurbished. They look and perform like new.

Your equipment is formidable. You should be proud of it. I believe the Piquet panels to be the best of the bunch & I have had all the English and European derivatives - the efficiency and the energy in bass is astonishing- the treble extended and natural. No need to muddy things with a super-tweeter or sub IMO.

I have some spare panels never used that were rebuilt by Wayne and some NOS tweeter panels never used--even by me ! but I have lent out other panels from other builders in the past for shoot outs - I don't want to solicit but if you want to talk quad please contact me by PM - I can talk quad all day long!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing