Hello from Mexico

ricardo villanueva

Sep 1, 2011
Hi friends, I'm Ricardo From Mexico.
I am a vinyl and tubes fan.
I have two systems, the one and main that is in my profile and a second one that is this one:

Clearaudio Champion Limited/Unify/Discovery
Clearaudio Balance Reference phono preamp
Denon 3930ci
Leben CS600 integrated amp
Dynaudio Focus 220

glad to be here to learn about you and to help some others as far as I can as well.

Have my best regards from Mexico City.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome Ricardo. We have a lot of people who are fans of tubes here, and some from Mexico if I am not msitaken.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome! Always great to have new members with experience. I have never heard Leben but always been interested. To start, can u describe them? Like Shindo? or Zanden? or Audio Note? (these are the brands i tend to think of, when i hear Leben.) More linear than these, better bass...etc. I am very happy with my amplifier, but it has been having real technical problems for a long, long time (Gryphon amplifier...in fact, Amir has kindly helped offer advice in the past on a separate thread).

So since i have high efficiency speakers with relatively high impedance loading, i am considering (going back to) tubes. Lamm, as well as some of the Shindo, Leben names come to mind. thanks for any advice!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hola Ricardo!

Now how do you say tubes and vinyl in Spanish? :)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI,
Welcome Ricardo. My family background is Mexican. It's nice to have you here. Be assured that this is a friendly and knowledgeable group always willing to discuss and help.

Sparky

ricardo villanueva

Sep 1, 2011
Welcome! Always great to have new members with experience. I have never heard Leben but always been interested. To start, can u describe them? Like Shindo? or Zanden? or Audio Note? (these are the brands i tend to think of, when i hear Leben.) More linear than these, better bass...etc. I am very happy with my amplifier, but it has been having real technical problems for a long, long time (Gryphon amplifier...in fact, Amir has kindly helped offer advice in the past on a separate thread).
So since i have high efficiency speakers with relatively high impedance loading, i am considering (going back to) tubes. Lamm, as well as some of the Shindo, Leben names come to mind. thanks for any advice!

Hello friends, thankyou for your wellcome.
lloydelee, from the brands you tell me, the only one that I've experienced is Audionote too many years ago, it was a 12 watts per channel amplifier kit and at that time, I used to have a pair of KEF reference 1.4 loudspeakers. It sounded great, but I think Leben has it's own sound. The fact is that you can use a wide variety of tubes in it. From EL34, 6L6GC and it's variations (WGB, 5881, etc), KT-66, KT-77 (a renewed design on my opinion to EL-34, and KT-88.
From all these tubes, I've tried almost all of them and I can say that the ones that i liked were the Siemens EL-34, Black Sable SED EL-34 an JJ KT-77.
You get a warm and musical sound, tight bass, perfect mids and lovely highs. You have "only" 28 watts from EL-34 or KT-77, but IMHO is more than enough as I listen mainly classical music and some jazz.
What I have not liked a lot in tubes, were mainly single ended amps using 300B, 2A3 or 6C33 tubes, even with high efficient speakers, the bass is not so good as I like, but is my opinion, mids and highs are probably the best I've ever heard, probably the only single ended I've liked was an Art Audio Carissa using 845 tubes.
I you ask me if I may recommend a Leben integrated like mine, I will say "YES" without hesitations, but there are some other alternatives that critics says like Luxman or Tri from Japan.

Have my best regards

Ricardo

ricardo villanueva

Sep 1, 2011
HI,
Welcome Ricardo. My family background is Mexican. It's nice to have you here. Be assured that this is a friendly and knowledgeable group always willing to discuss and help.

Sparky

Thanks for your reply and your welcome, Sparky, and I'm sure this forum is quite friendly!

Have my best regards!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You have "only" 28 watts from EL-34 or KT-77, but IMHO is more than enough as I listen mainly classical music and some jazz.
I you ask me if I may recommend a Leben integrated like mine, I will say "YES" without hesitations, but there are some other alternatives that critics says like Luxman or Tri from Japan.
Ricardo
Hi Ricardo, Thanks! the reason i ask is because i think my X-1/Grand Slamms will demonstrate transparently whatever source i put through it. at the moment, the Grpyhon Antileon is wonderful...but i know many use the Lamm SE tubes. The bass is apparently great, though not "krell-like"...so i am wondering what would happen if i could get a pair of Lebens, or Luxmans or Tri in. I am a bit of a bass freak, so that is important to me. (i sense Gryphon is still very much the right amp for me....just curious though while it is in for repair.)

Which of the ones you mentioned (leben, Luxman, tri) have the most tightly controlled, powerful bass? thanks again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing