Hello from a gringo engineer in Costa Rica!

bryede

May 29, 2014
Hello everyone. My name is Bryan and I'm an American audio enthusiast currently living in the wonderful little country of Costa Rica. I'm also the designer of the controller for the Saskia II turntable.

About 9 months ago my wife and I decided to quit our day jobs and get away from our increasingly stressful lives. Now I devote myself to design work full-time and I hope to produce a line of truly useful audio products.

I also hope to discover other audio enthusiasts down here. I've already helped one other person get a turntable set up so we're a club of 2 so far.

I attended the wonderful WBF dinner at the last RMAF and plan to be there again with Win/mosin showing final production units of the Saskia II.

-Bry

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bry,
I remember meeting you at the dinner and I think you were also at the Mexican restaurant we gathered at for cheap drinks. I hope all is going well for you.

Mark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bry,
I remember meeting you at the dinner and I think you were also at the Mexican restaurant we gathered at for cheap drinks. I hope all is going well for you.

Mark

Hello everyone. My name is Bryan and I'm an American audio enthusiast currently living in the wonderful little country of Costa Rica. I'm also the designer of the controller for the Saskia II turntable.

About 9 months ago my wife and I decided to quit our day jobs and get away from our increasingly stressful lives. Now I devote myself to design work full-time and I hope to produce a line of truly useful audio products.

I also hope to discover other audio enthusiasts down here. I've already helped one other person get a turntable set up so we're a club of 2 so far.

I attended the wonderful WBF dinner at the last RMAF and plan to be there again with Win/mosin showing final production units of the Saskia II.

-Bry

I also met you at our dinner last year

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Hola Bry, and saludos from a hybrid, I'm a Tico born to American parents in Costa Rica but living in the US since '84.

Lovely country and full of cool people. You might want to hook up with my friend Roberto, the MartinLogan dealer there in CR, here is his vCard.
He will introduce you to all kinds of other audio enthusiasts.

Saludos

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like a dream plan! Would love to hear the logistics of relocating to Costa Rica as an American.

For now, welcome aboard.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Hi Bry and Jonathan,

Another Tico over here and living in Costa Rica as a Corsican descendent.

Roberto, the Martin Logan dealer in Costa Rica, is my close friend also. And of course I'm ML user...

Welcome and Pura Vida!...

Roch

roberto

Hola Bryede, it is wonderful to have you here in Costa Rica. If it is there anything that I could do for you, it would be my pleasure. My cel phone number is 8888-4363. Love to talk to you, and again, you are welcome! Thanks Jonathan (Jonfo) and uncle Roch. Of course you can find audiophiles here, even that our community is very small.

Please, do not hesitate to call me!
Regards from Escazú,
Roberto.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bry and Jonathan,

Another Tico over here and living in Costa Rica as a Corsican descendent.

Roberto, the Martin Logan dealer in Costa Rica, is my close friend also. And of course I'm ML user...

Welcome and Pura Vida!...

Roch

Hi Roch,

Which ML speakers do you run at the moment? Any thoughts on the new ML Neolith?

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
.. Thanks Jonathan (Jonfo) and uncle Roch. Of course you can find audiophiles here, even that our community is very small.

Thanks Roberto. BTW- Funny story: the current Costa Rican President, Luis Guillermo Solis, is a long-time friend of mine, we met in kindergarten and went through grade school and high school together, then were good buddies as young men before I came to the states. Great to see him reach his ultimate potential.

Saludos,

bryede

May 29, 2014
Thanks everyone for all the kind replies. Roch and Roberto, I'd love to meet up sometime. I'm in Puriscal and visit Escazú frequently.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Hi Roch,

Which ML speakers do you run at the moment? Any thoughts on the new ML Neolith?

Hi LL22,

Almost all my (serious) music lover life with ML. Now, almost since it was launched, with CLX, plus Descent-i subs (2), ML Descent-i crossovers for CLX. The easiest ML to setup. Neolith belongs to the realm of mystery, regarding price, needed room size and SQ of course.

I don't even know if they were on silent display on Munich's Show, because I can not find any reviews about.

Maybe Roberto...?

Roch

roberto

Hola... I am another freak of the CLXs... and the new Neolith is for another leagues at this time. I do not know the pricing, but here is what Peter Soderberg, the Martin Logan Western Regional sales Manager said to me: ..." Roberto my friend, of course I will give you some inside dope but if you tell, I know where you live. Think big monolith with almost 8 square ft of panel. 12inch carbon fiber front, 15inch rear in separate chambers all built out of a very nonresonent material. Joe has been working on them for over two years and is very happy in terms of performance. Bigger surface area than the old statements. Better xover than anything that Wilson uses. I leave for Germany Monday but I will try and send a picture. More good things coming down the road, aimed at the high end. Should be some good times coming up..." When I asked him regarding the price, here is his response: ..."It will be the top in terms of output and dynamics but the CLX will have its place.. We sell more CLX now then we have since it came out. The new subs are fantastic in combination...It will be quite a bit more than the CLXs."...

Bry, are you living now here in Costa Rica?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
When Bryan became part of the Saskia project, I thought that I had finally found a guy within driving distance because he lived in the next state. A few months later he left the country. My wife says we'll have to move down there, too. Someone else said I should move north, so summer in the Catskills and winter in Costa Rica might be an interesting lifestyle. Who knows?

Anyway, Bryan, it's good to see you around these parts!

roberto

All I can say about my Country is that it is a little piece of land, full of vegetation and still you find a lot of wild life around. We have over 850 different kinds of birds. We have only two seasons, the rainy season that we called winter, and the dry season that we called summer. Right now, we are in the changing process from summer to winter...and in some parts of the country is raining like cats and dogs. Our Country is so small, that driving from our Capital, Sam Jose, in one hour going West. you are at the Pacific Ocean, and driving East, in two and half hours you are at the Atlantic. But our vegetation changes every 5 minutes of driving. There is a lot of Micro-climates with a lot of endogenous species. The truth is that we are a poor country, with a lot of things to do for better. We have no army, so there are no machine guns around. Of course we have crime...crime is everywhere. But the Costa Ricans are still, and I hope that we keep being this way, a peace lovers. I know that we are trying to do the best. We need to educate more our people regarding the wild life and nature. And we really are doing our best. We are bringing back rivers that were totally polluted, and the Nature is doing the job. Hunting is forbidden by law now. So we are educating the country side people to respect the wild life. It is truly a difficult task, but the Costa Ricans are understanding this. We are getting more consciousness about it, and I think this is right!.
Bryan, now you have my phone number. When ever you would like to come over, mi casa es su casa, my home is your home, my system is your system. Enjoy and happy listening!

roberto

Welcome...

Hola Chicos. I just wanted to tell you that today I got a phone call from my now on new friend Bryan. From his voice, I can say that he is a humble, caring and loving person. I am older enough to say this by his voice and this thoughts regarding hi-end sound. A truly audiophile is now in my Country. Again, welcome to Costa Rica my friend! Happy listening!

bryede

May 29, 2014
Hola Roberto!

¡Gracias por las palabras amables! I enjoyed our conversation and I'm looking forward to meeting soon! Did you get my email?

-Bry

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the forum, Bry. Glad to see that you have joined us here at the WBF. :)

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing