Headphone EQ for a natural sound and soundstage.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Deleted - thread video-bombed by admin.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting that. Is Audioforge only iOS based? Did a quick search and sadly that seems to be the case.

As to your technique so it is all by ear? Seems like a daunting task to adjust multiple EQ bands, set Q and such all by ear, not knowing if you are making things sound good on piece of music but worse on others. I gather with your experience you may have figured out how to shortcut this but for other people, seems like infinite possibilities with no compass to guide one.

Can you expand more on the technique? What tone frequencies do you use for example in your initial pass?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do any members have headphones listed in that document and have an iOS device they can test with and give us a report?

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Deleted - same as first post.

Last edited:

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well the difference with loudspeakers is that I can measure them in the seating position. I can't do that with headphones. The measurements in low frequencies quickly indicate problems worth looking at. I am in the dark with headphones without that guidance and may make some problems worse than better.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Last edited:

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My "blind" (i.e. without measurements) testing with loudspeakers has not been successful. In bass frequencies you have to EQ down to a single Hz resolution. No one is that good. You can make corrections by ear alone but my experience is that it will backfire on some content. Whereas done with measurements, the results are much more consistent.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I wasn't 100% sure where to post those two videos; this brand new thread or the other new thread on Headphones vs Loudspeakers just recently started today.
So I opted for this one...and only for members who can afford to take the time...two hours plus. ...Because it has mainly to do with headphones...natural sound.

________

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing