Have we done this one lately? What is everyone's (owned) reference loudspeaker?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's a modest system but i have been enjoying it for many many years same speakers since 1984 BUT many mods.:)

View attachment 10715

I know I have said this before, but I don't remember if I ever received a response from you. Is there a reason that your right speaker is placed further into your room than the left speaker and that the angle of toe-in isn't close for both speakers relative to each other?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I know I have said this before, but I don't remember if I ever received a response from you. Is there a reason that your right speaker is placed further into your room than the left speaker and that the angle of toe-in isn't close for both speakers relative to each other?

They are exacly the same distance from the rear wall and exactly the same toe in the difference is that on the right side there is a fireplace i would rather not have one BUT all 8 condos came with it so i have to live with it i have seen better but i also have seen worst you learn to live with what you have.:)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Many systems with as much as 10x amplifier power come off to me as small and dynamically limited- having efficiency combined with accuracy is a real boon.

Hello atmasphere

I couldn't agree more it sure can make a difference. Are those from the guys who do the Hartsfields? What driver is your woofer based on??

Rob:)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mark, I think there's a bit of optical illusion because of the stone table angled in the middle of the picture (which also is taken at an angle.)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . there is a fireplace i would rather not have one BUT all 8 condos came with it so i have to live with it i have seen better but i also have seen worst you learn to live with what you have.:)

I agree with you about the fireplace. I like the stone wall behind my speakers and the irregularities of the rock surfaces give a little diffusion to the sound out of the rear of the [dipole] speakers, but I boarded up my fireplace over 20 years ago and never missed it. I'm not quite hard-core enough to get a stone mason to completely fill it in, but the thought crosses my mind every so often.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
YG Kipods 4.13 _001.jpg

Really bad photo. YG Acoustics Kipod II signature, driven by BAT REX monoblocks. Have cleaned up and upgraded the cables some since photo was taken.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark, I think there's a bit of optical illusion because of the stone table angled in the middle of the picture (which also is taken at an angle.)

Rob-You could certainly be correct. Even if the speakers are the same distance from the rear wall, they just look like their toe-in angle are much different.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
a quick low quality Iphone shot from today...Wilson X-2.2

Christian,

Nice photo.

I have a couple questions below if you don't mind:

How far back from the speakers do you sit?
How far apart are the speakers?
How close are they to your slanted walls at there closest point in the back?

Thanks,
Dre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian,

Nice photo.

I have a couple questions below if you don't mind:

How far back from the speakers do you sit?
How far apart are the speakers?
How close are they to your slanted walls at there closest point in the back?

Thanks,
Dre

Hi Dre,

My speaker spread from the center of the cone are 8'
My ears are about 9' from the cone.
There is 19" clearance from the back of speaker to the slanted (Bay window type) wall
My ears are 44" from the back wall.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Dre,

There is 19" clearance from the back of speaker to the slanted (Bay window type) wall

Interesting.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hi Dre,

Thanks Christian.

The picture looked deceptive with regards to the distance the rear of the speakers are from the slanted walls. It almost looked as if like they were a few inches away at there closes point.

BTW: Nice room/setup.

Dre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is that a Lava lamp in the middle? Cool!

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
This is my Box:

la bestia.jpg Bestia_2.jpg

2,15 m each about 250 kg Bi Amplifiered. 1kw for the Bass. Transmission Line.

best regards

Josef

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
Not realy. This Speaker exist only once in the World. It is a Prototype. The Goal was to design a Speaker which is able to do 20 - 20 khz without any problems. (Bye the way you can go lower)

The Bass is 2 x 30 cm to a big Transmissionline (you cannot see because the hole is on the Top). Each Bass channel has 1 kw. Cut frequency at the moment 70 Hz. We reduce the Bass about 6 db otherwise it is too heavy for my taste.

The speaker crossover is seperate, this means you have a electronic crossover with DSP for the bass and a normal crossover for the Rest.

How does it sound? Good Question, depens. If you drive the speaker with Boulder for example you will hear everything but for my taste too analytik. If you driver the Speaker with my Sonic Frontiers/Threshold it´s sounds more natural.

The sound is very lifelike. I mean lifelike this is not the same what people thinking with small loudspeakers it is.

My has friend has a Wilson Alexandria XLF. Both are in the same class, you cannot say one or the other is better. The biggest difference is the low bass. The low bass (< 40 Hz) from the Wilson is total different. It is harder, more direct. A Transmissionline Bass is different. It is more organic and it is deeper. You can test with YELLO Touch Track 14.

BUT only if you drive the Wilson with a Highpower Amp. I know some people use small Amps with 20-30 W but I (and my friend (he has a Boulder 2050)) think it is too low for real lifelike music in big rooms.

Josef

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing