Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So I have this LP on an inexpensive non-audiophile Blue Note reissue, which sounds quite nice. I was surprised actually. However, I'm really enjoying this record and wouldn't mind springing for an audiophile release or an excellent original (yeah...ok).

So to all of the WBF Jazz experts......where do I start or what should I consider?

Obligatory pic (because I like that...haha)
Hank Mobley - Soul Station.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Chances are if it's a recent "cheap" release, it's digital.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You want a Classic Records reissue. There is a mono and I think a stereo version. If you don't use a mono cart on a mono record, you are better off getting a stereo version. I will have to check my collection to see if I have both.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You want a Classic Records reissue. There is a mono and I think a stereo version. If you don't use a mono cart on a mono record, you are better off getting a stereo version. I will have to check my collection to see if I have both.

No mono cartridge, so I'll stick with the stereo...thank you Christian!

Any good sites you can recommend for me to look at? I used to buy from The Music.com, but they changed I think.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Music Matters released a version of Soul Station in 2x 45 rpm (in stereo just like how it was recorded). It is sublime, one of my favorite reissues regardless of genre.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Music Matters released a version of Soul Station in 2x 45 rpm (in stereo just like how it was recorded). It is sublime, one of my favorite reissues regardless of genre.

+1

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, IMO the Music Matters is the one to get...IF you can source it. An original Blue Note deep groove pressing is going to cost you some serious coin!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I actually found a sealed copy as well. I remember I had to buy a complete subscription when I signed up after the series was under way, so I have duplicates of some of the early titles. Anyone interested send me a message.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing