Hadouk Trio

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Do you know this trio, well if you don't and are a jazz fan you should love them or at least like them.

This is one of their best album.

Here are a few samples please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQRDXd9Upk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrTpBf85puA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLQoqDirrHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVR2JFPZhMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKNT-F5mHY

I have all if their albums and agree as to how good they are

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The music is mostly great, but I'm really disappointed at how compressed and peak-limited the mastering is. Their albums could sound even better.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
The music is mostly great, but I'm really disappointed at how compressed and peak-limited the mastering is. Their albums could sound even better.

Are you talking about the live album ( Live à FIP )

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are you talking about the live album ( Live à FIP )

All of them. IIRC, the live album is not as bad as at least one of the studio ones, but this music deserves better. Rip the CD into your computer and look at the waveform in an audio editing program, and/or run Foobar's dynamic range calculator. Not a pretty picture.

lowpoke

May 29, 2012
Australia
@Mr Acoustat: I purchased the 'utopies' CD after reading this thread and LOVE IT. Thank you for the heads up.
(The recording sounds excellent on my system, but I haven't studied any waveforms or run any dynamic range calculations ...)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
@Mr Acoustat: I purchased the 'utopies' CD after reading this thread and LOVE IT. Thank you for the heads up.
(The recording sounds excellent on my system, but I haven't studied any waveforms or run any dynamic range calculations ...)

This is an excellent example of why the "loudness war" still exists. The Hadouk Trio recordings are extremely compressed and peak limited, with an average rms volume of only about -7 dB in places (a well-recorded and mastered album should almost never be more than -14 or so except for very brief periods). Despite this, many audiophiles like their albums in part for their sound. For contrast, the HDTracks version of Dream Theater (a prog-metal band) is usually about -11 or -12.

I love the Hadouk Trio's music, unfortunately I can only imagine what it should sound like in its true glory. :(

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
This is an excellent example of why the "loudness war" still exists. The Hadouk Trio recordings are extremely compressed and peak limited, with an average rms volume of only about -7 dB in places (a well-recorded and mastered album should almost never be more than -14 or so except for very brief periods). Despite this, many audiophiles like their albums in part for their sound. For contrast, the HDTracks version of Dream Theater (a prog-metal band) is usually about -11 or -12.

I love the Hadouk Trio's music, unfortunately I can only imagine what it should sound like in its true glory. :(

Please try these two and let me know what you think thank you.

Hadouk Trio     Live à Fi P.jpg Hadouk Trio     Air Hadouk.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What do you want to know about them? I have Shaminal, Utopies, Live at FIP, Air and Now. Air Hadouk is the most compressed of their albums, with the average rms going even higher than -7 dB for several seconds at a time.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Just wanted to know how you felt about the SOUND of those albums, as for me i love ALL their albums.

Hadouk Trio     Air Hadouk.jpg Hadouk Trio     Baldamore.jpg Hadouk Trio     Hadouk.jpg

Hadouk Trio     Live à Fi P.jpg Hadouk Trio     Now.jpg

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hadouk Trio     Shamanimal.jpg Hadouk Trio     Utopies.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As I said, the sound could be dramatically improved if the engineers had let the instruments "breathe" a little more.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
thanks rbbert, for the tip on the new hadouk quartet.
I really like live, air and baldamore but am not familiar with the others.
Will look for the quartet release.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
thanks rbbert, for the tip on the new hadouk quartet.
I really like live, air and baldamore but am not familiar with the others.
Will look for the quartet release.

Hi tunes, i own all Hadouk Trio cd,s and if you can find it this one is very very good.

Hadouk Trio     Live à Fi P.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you can buy from qobuz.com, their whole catalog appears to be available in 16/44.1 FLAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing