Great science article on steaks

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Amir, I have been continuously trying to perfect my steak cooking technique ever since I first learnt to cook :) Salting steaks is one of the controversies - some chefs are early salters, some are late salters. I used to agree with what that article suggests - either salt early, or salt immediately before cooking. However, I started to notice that early salted steaks took on a "cured" taste rather than a "seasoned" flavour. It is the same as brined chicken vs. salted chicken - they definitely taste different, and they are different enough that I am 100% sure I can pick it in a blind test.

There are many theoretical reasons why a dry brined steak (which is effectively what the article describes) is superior. The salt is evenly distributed through the meat, the salt helps muscle fibres relax (making it more tender), the salt helps hold on to moisture, and so on. But time and time again, I prefer steaks which are immediately salted.

The French Culinary Institute of America ran a triangle test of steaks cooked three ways - (1) salted, then cooked sous-vide, then chilled, then reheated, seared, and served, (2) UNSALTED, then sous-vide, then chilled, reheated and served, (3) salted, then sous-vide, seared and served. The results were pretty much consistent with my experience.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Keith. You didn't say which method was preferred by CIA. Was that the order of preference?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the methods i've observed in two heavy beef eating countires ive spent considerable time in, brazil and especially argentina: churrascaria's only use salt (pretty liberally at that) before it goes on the spit. argentine parrilla the same. i have a persian friend that only salts his barg and koobideh kabob after they're grilled and insists this is the preferred method in iran, and guess what, they turned out awesome as well.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Incidentally, here is another article about seasoning meat. The authors are recognized practitioners of science in cooking. They said it a different way - when meat is seasoned, then sous-vided and seared - it is not juicy like a traditionally prepared steak. In my post above I called it a "cured" taste. Yes it is tender, but the juices don't flow out when you bite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing