Gorecki, Henryk Symphony #3

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have the Zinman performance with Dawn Upshaw and it is very good. I'm not sure how it compares to the others there, though. I don't know enough about Gorecki's catalog to make a statement about the "greatness" of the performance, partly because there are not a lot of competitors from major players as far as I've heard.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Lee. I saw some recommendations for Zinman as being one of the best. How is the recording quality?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My top choice is hard to find. It is the Lipinski SACD with Zofia Kilanowicz, National Symphony Orchestra, Henryk Mikolaj Gorecki (Conductor) and the same wonderful performance that appears on the Blu-ray in Amazon's listing. The SACD is much preferred because the surround arrangement on the BD puts most of the ambiance in the back-surround channels making it sound strange over a typical 5.1 system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gorecki: Symphony No. 3,
Susan Gritton (Artist), Henryk Gorecki (Composer), Yuri Simonov (Conductor), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra)

I found this to be a somewhat different interpretation...a bit more lilting. Not better...just a different reading which I find worth having in addition to Upshaw. I have heard there was a Gorecki Polish National Radio version directed by Gorecki himself and that it is studpendous. Roy Gregory refers to it in his review of the Focal Grand Utopias. Anyone know how to find it?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Gorecki: Symphony No. 3,
Susan Gritton (Artist), Henryk Gorecki (Composer), Yuri Simonov (Conductor), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra)

I found this to be a somewhat different interpretation...a bit more lilting. Not better...just a different reading which I find worth having in addition to Upshaw. I have heard there was a Gorecki Polish National Radio version directed by Gorecki himself and that it is studpendous. Roy Gregory refers to it in his review of the Focal Grand Utopias. Anyone know how to find it?
I suggest that you contact Lipinski Sound. I already gave away my duplicate. :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

hey! I finally found a route to finding this CD! Thanks to you! Much appreciated...I have google'd SACD and Gorecki...and this version has never come up. Thanks! Now, I have to go find a copy.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone. Ordered the Zinman version.

BTW, I discovered this music of all places from the TV series Blacklist! It was a sad moment and this piece highly elevated the scene. I googled for it and first hit gave me Gorecki. I don't listen to a lot of classical music but this one really drew me in. Highly recommended for folks who have not heard it to give it a listen. The entire piece is available on youtube in many renderings. Dawn Upshaw's voice makes it for me in the Zinman version as recommended:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I spoke with Lipinski, the Recording professionals who did the recording and mastering work for the now-famous Gorecki-conducted version held in Poland to celebrate I think his 70th. I will be listening to it tonite! Very exciting.

BTW, I did not know Lipinski also make studio monitors which I believe based on very limited searching are well regarded by studio professionals. Does anyone know anything about them?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Kal, I think I saw somewhere you posted that you'd heard their speakers and liked them. Can you comment on Lipinski's flagship 707a full-range speakers? I am intrigued based on the very limited searching I was able to do on them. In fact, I am so intrigued I may try to find a way to listen to them.

Thanks for any guidance.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Interestingly, the Nonesuch Goreki Symphony 3, according to Norman LeBrecht's Book 'The Life and Death of Classical Music', is the 22rd best selling classical album of all time, selling 1.1M copies. It is up there with the Three Tenors Christmas Album and the Naxos Four Seasons. LeBrecht also lists it as one of his top 100 best classical records. Because of a change of venue, the recording costs increased and the crew was forced to take half of the agreed upon fee. Dawn Upshaw's agent told her to take her fee in cash, instead of a share of royalties (in retrospect a mistake). Upshaw, coincidentally, is one of the most famous graduates of my high school in suburban Chicago, although she graduated 15 years after I did.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am listening to the Gorecki conducted version Kal refers to. It bears both the immense weight of the Zinman/Upshaw but the articulation of the Siminov/Gritton. It is both powerful and lithe. A rare combination for this music, which I have heard in several versions. I need to consider this more carefully after finishing....to declare it my favorite. But while I prefer Siminov to Zinman because it so beautifully articulates the notes, the brooding and immense weight of Gorecki is tremendous....and his articulate ability to share nuances in his compositions could well give the best of both worlds of he his music. The 2nd movement has just started...shhhhhh....back in a bit.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well I will have to go back to Gritton tomorrow...but I think the first 2 movements are clearly stupendous with Gorecki conducting. THe weight and articulation are magnificent, It's the 3rd movement when I want to compare. Somehow remember more drama with Gritton?...we shall see. In any event, a truly powerful version.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing