Getting a fear of highway driving.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've always loved to drive and have been driving for a little over 40 years. I am a very good driver, make that excellent in fact, with great reflexes and it seems like I have eyes in the back of my head, because I'm almost 100% aware of what is going on around me at all times.

In the last year or two I've started to develop a fear of highway driving and I have no idea how this came about. I now try to avoid using any highway as I get so tense that my hands are almost fused onto my steering wheel. I've declined invitations to meet with friends because of it, unless I have a driver. I'm at my wits end and its driving me nuts.

Has anyone ever experienced this? And does anyone know what causes this or hopefully have some suggestions?

PS: I didn't know what forum section to post this thread, so please feel free to move it, if need be.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-What you are experiencing is fairly common as people age, I have just heard about and seen it more with women than men. I work with a guy whose wife now refuses to drive at all because of her fears and he has to drive her to and from work every day.

My wife has always been somewhat claustrophobic, but it has gotten worse with age. She won’t close the door to our cars without me being inside first and having started the engine. Go figure.

Since I’m not a headshrinker, I can’t tell you why you are experiencing your fears of highway driving or what you can do to change it. I just know it’s not uncommon.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for your response Mark , and I'm glad to hear it's not uncommon. Since it's a fear its probably something I can conquer with the right approach. I'll have to ask my Dr. about it. It's most frustrating and annoying let me tell you.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-One thing I would ask you to think about: Can you remember when this started and can you associate some type of trigger event? You say it has been the last year or two so try to reflect on the time and see if you can narrow that window down and then ask yourself what was going in your life at the time this fear started. For instance, did someone you know become seriously injured or pass away due to a car accident on the highway? Did you have a close call while driving or while a passenger in someone else's car?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing