Genesis Room at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2011

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve did not mean to steal your thunder. The note I included to Gary credits your son as the recorder.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks Gary. I have heard a lot of positive feedback on Soundsmith cartridges. I've never heard Soundsmith cartridge myself yet but given my experience with the repair work they did on my Koetsu cartridge, I am certain it is good sounding.

Sam

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sam, the Soundsmith Gold is one of my favorite cartridges. But I have to admit that I'm not your best guide to cartridges because I have been using Denon 103-based cartridges for the past 30 years. I've taken detours to Lyra deCapo and Parnessus, London Decca, Sumiko, Koetsu, but I've always come back to the Denon.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Room Pictures

Front end:

From top:

The Funk Firm Saffire II with F x R tonearm and Soundsmith Gold (modified) cartridge
Burmester Ph100 Phono Stage
SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamplifier
Interocitor (this picture was taken when I had it plugged between the DAC and preamp)
M2Tech Young 32bit/384kHz DAC
Home-made music server + external VRE-1C power supply
All on a Kosmic Acrylic Rack

Power conditioner at rear is an Isotek Nova

RMAF 2011 Equipme&#110.jpg

Here's me, Steve McCormack and my sister Carolyn with the Genesis 7.2f's, another Interocitor, and my prototype 1,440W amplifiers. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely :)

RMAF 2011 Gary and&#.jpg

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Gary,

I have a stable of cartridges that I swap into the tonearm at my whim. Cartridges are light, take up little space and change the character of the sound immediately. I am also a Denon 103 lover. I have the 103D and the 103SA.

Sam

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi again Gary, I posted this somewhere else, saying that I really liked what you reached with this new speaker. The ingenieus way to distribute bass energy to the floor, the new tweeter and the mechanics working in favour of the speaker all sum-up to a very musical and capable design. Congratulations!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi again Gary, I posted this somewhere else, saying that I really liked what you reached with this new speaker. The ingenieus way to distribute bass energy to the floor, the new tweeter and the mechanics working in favour of the speaker all sum-up to a very musical and capable design. Congratulations!

Thanks, Fernando. I am really honored that you like it.

See my thread on coupling/decoupling loudspeakers.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary,

I have a stable of cartridges that I swap into the tonearm at my whim. Cartridges are light, take up little space and change the character of the sound immediately. I am also a Denon 103 lover. I have the 103D and the 103SA.

Sam

Yes! Good to meet another one :)

I also have a Magic Diamond and a Virus, and they are both also based on the Denon 103 mechanics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing