FYI: Dalby's Cost Be Dammed Turntable Design Exercise

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Fascinating stuff:

Note Dalby's analysis of the sonic signature of different materials and restrictions on the use of aluminum and acrylic.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Fascinating stuff:

Note Dalby's analysis of the sonic signature of different materials and restrictions on the use of aluminum and acrylic.
Interesting comments but why not include the magnesium/zirconium alloys used in the Continuum tables?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Cool. Curious if it delivers. Anyone heard one in real?

Reactions: Igal

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Interesting sort of left field--everyone else is going for the latest and so called greatest build versions of the venerable TT and Lee Dalby

simply reconstructs the dear old 301 into a world beater?-- power to him and lets see /hear the results;)

Note states not for resale only 3 being built--Umm yes well--

Chris Leung knows his stuff and I doubt would back a dud--plus Dalby has the prestige /work ethic and nous to pull this off.

Like I said Interesting(Very)

BruceD

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Fascinating stuff:

Note that more photos and design/construction details were added at the Audio Exotics page today. Interesting to see such extensive use of tone woods - ebony, lignum-vitae, and maple.

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Was sent the link to this project today. Interesting construction and execution. Probably sounds really good but a well-executed 301 also has some je ne sais quoi. I have heard 301s totall rebuilt from brass and copper, redone with carbon fiber in many place. They all sound like a "better" 301. This seems like a lot of effort to make an ultimate 301 but damn the torpedos and all, it's great to see someone still doing crazy stuff in the High-End these days.

Would love to see what he could do building from a blank slate, working at the limits of technology. Wish I could write that check.

The only thing I didn't really believe is that he didn't listen to it before he shipped it!

Beau

PS I didn't want to like them but I've heard his weight and mat and they somehow make things better so I am guessing this will too.

Reactions: lordcloud

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
More from Mr. Dalby:

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Wow!
What a thing...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing