FS: Otari MX5050BIII R2R in Great Condition

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My wife has ordered that for every new piece of equipment I get, one old one has to go. Over the past year I bought two R2R machines (two Ampex ATR-102 pro monsters). So I am selling my older R2R machines. One has already gone, and I am selling the other - a great machine for someone who wants to get started in tape, without a big investment.

This is an Otari MX5050 BIII, dating from the 1990's. I bought it in 2009 from a person who had bought the contents of an FM station that had closed. The machine was one of four R2R they had and was the newest and least used - in really fine shape. I had it checked over by my local tech, and had the heads relapped by JCF and a new pinch roller installed by Athan Corporation. It works great and plays 2 track and 4 track tapes in both IEC (e.g for Tape Project and most other current tapes) and NAB equalization at both 15ips and 7.5ips. It records 2 track, but not 4 track. Both record and playback electronics are fine and it sounds very good. I did not have the electronics bypassed, since within a year I bought a tricked out Bottlehead Technics play only machine with a BH external prepro. So most of the time it has been used to rewind tape and do some dubbing. This is actually more of a pro machine, since it has only balanced inputs and outputs. However, I used it with cables to connect balanced to RCA and it works fine that way.

Price - $800. I will include a sturdy road case with it and also a couple of super nice 15ips 2 track tapes (PM me for details). Prefer local pick up in the SF Bay Area, but will ship if needed.

Larry

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Photos?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sold! Thanks for looking. Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing