Fleetwood Mac

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Many know of this band only for the cast of the late 70s, with Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, which had huge success with the album Rumours, which has chart topping hits such as You Make Loving Fun, Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way. Personally I never cared for this version of the band, but they were very successful.

But the original version of this band was a blues band founded by arguably the greatest blues guitarist ever, Peter Green. This version of the back was just outright excellent.

Many erroneously think Black Magic Woman was a Santana creation. No doubt, Santana's version is friggin awesome, but Fleetwood Mac gets credit for the original. If you want to check out what this band did, here's my suggestion:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any recommendations where to look Ron. I've given up on Amazon. Blechhhh.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Many know of this band only for the cast of the late 70s, with Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, which had huge success with the album Rumours, which has chart topping hits such as You Make Loving Fun, Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way. Personally I never cared for this version of the band, but they were very successful.

But the original version of this band was a blues band founded by arguably the greatest blues guitarist ever, Peter Green. This version of the back was just outright excellent.

Many erroneously think Black Magic Woman was a Santana creation. No doubt, Santana's version is friggin awesome, but Fleetwood Mac gets credit for the original. If you want to check out what this band did, here's my suggestion:

Thanks to Ron, this is another jewel he brought to my house several years ago along with the history which I thought I knew as they are one of my favorite groups. I bought the album IIRC on Amazon

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Another 'original' Fleetwood Mac available on vinyl is "The Pious Bird of Good Omen".

Nice! I have never seen that cover. How's the album itself?

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Amazon + Philippines + FedEx = FUBAR

Any place else?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I have a number of older Fleetwood Mac records on CD. All of them a quite good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Ron! I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of weeks!!!!!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
The older Fleetwood Mac Peter Green albums were among my favorites years ago in Law School at GWU circa 1975 - 1978.
I contend that the "pop" Fleetwood Mac was great to listen to at the time but that the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac will be great to
listen to forever!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Like I always say, great music stands the test of time.

Very true, yet often-times when one of the founders leaves those bands aren't held in the same esteem. Witness Genesis and the departure of Peter Gabriel. Witness even a Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett or a Yes without Jon Anderson and an INXS without Michael Hutchence, to name but a few.

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
So very true, John, although I think it is at least fair to say Pink Floyd's music post Syd is passable.;) And in the case of Genesis, Wind & Wuthering and A Trick Of The Tail are great albums, even though PG was on to solo pastures. Now once Hackett left, the new Genesis was born.

I wish bands like the post-PG & Hackett Genesis and the post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac would just rename themselves. To continue on under the same band name, well, that ought to be illegal or something.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
So very true, John, although I think it is at least fair to say Pink Floyd's music post Syd is passable.;) And in the case of Genesis, Wind & Wuthering and A Trick Of The Tail are great albums, even though PG was on to solo pastures. Now once Hackett left, the new Genesis was born.

I wish bands like the post-PG & Hackett Genesis and the post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac would just rename themselves. To continue on under the same band name, well, that ought to be illegal or something.

Hi Ron,

That is probably true. Also as John indicated about Jon Anderson missing from Yes. But, there was the one album called Drama to say nothing of the touring of the band for the last 2 years. That also brings up a lot of interesting things with the changes and the revolving membership and different iterations of Yes.

Rich

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Nice! I have never seen that cover. How's the album itself?

John

It is quite an unusual album with a(n) (apparently scrounged) collection of remakes of things like "Rambling Pony" and "Black Magic Women". The "Pious Bird of Good Omen" is a reference to "Albatross" which is also a track on the album.

The first track and the last four tracks are different versions/remakes of "Need Your Love So Bad". Most
tracks include a lot of banter, "inspirational" quips from Green (presumably) and some false notes. There is a range of guitar work from harsh/impatient chords to riffs of stunningly beautiful tone.

Really meant for the hard-core Peter Green buff...I have both cd and vinyl. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing