Favourite "SIMPLE" sandwich!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A simple sandwich is something that you have in the kitchen and can put together in a matter of a minute or two. No fancy equipment is required (like Pannini presses e.g.), but a toaster is allowed.

One of my faves is a simple Tomato sandwich with mayo, pepper and salt on two slices of bread. Not toasted, but the bread has to be fresh. If it's not, then I'll toast it, but I prefer not to. I started buying vine-ripened tomatoes many years ago and find they are great for sandwiches and salads.

What is your favourite simple sandwich?

John

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hmmm. Near (or at) the top of my list would be a smoked turkey, extra hot capocollo, hot genoa, cheese, and hot banana peppers (does it show that I like spicy foods?). Made with fresh multigrain bread (and preferably toasted in a pannini maker).

For something even easier: PH&H (peanut butter and honey), preferably with 100% natural peanut butter (with salt)--that sugar loaded crap from Kraft et al just won't do!--and pasturised (white) honey. Yes, I also have a very sweet tooth! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rye bread
pepper jack cheese
Thousand island dressing
Deli sliced corned beef
Sauerkraut
a pat of butter
Assemble and place in toster oven

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Made this the other day.

Some fresh Bavarian Whole Grain Rye Bread.
Both sides brushed with a Dijon flavoured type of whole grain Dutch Mustard.
A good amount of Rare Angus Roast Beef deli slices.
Several thick rounds of fresh Roma tomatoes.
A few leaves of Red Leaf Lettuce
Salt and pepper (both freshly ground) to taste.

IMG_0366.JPG

The picture doesn't quite show the amount of Angus Roast Beef, but I assure you...it was there!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
After years of cycling and eating the international cycling food OPB&J organic peanut butter and jelly. I have progressed to the ultimate... OPB on slightly toasted bread (no jelly) with a side of one organic carrot.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Left over meatloaf, Hoffman's super sharp, horseradish mustard, toasted rye or pump.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
French white bread (fresh).
Back Forest ham (sliced thin; several layers).
Swiss cheese (the real stuff, with holes).
Tomatoes.
Avocados.
Onions.
Mustard (Dijon).
Mayo (Hellmann's).
Lettuce (Romaine).
Seasoning salt & Pepper (lemon).

* Roughly 3 inches high. ...And simple for me, and I love it!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For me, two things are required for a fantastic sandwich: Fresh baguette that is crusty on on the outside and soft inside and home grown sweet tomato. Without these two it just doesn't make it for me. Once I have that, the rest is simple: some combo of turkey + ham and roast beef, plus mayo, pickle and mustard and I am done :).

Not a fan of using white sliced bread for anything. The only exception is rye bread which I like with corn beef and such with some mustard.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For me, two things are required for a fantastic sandwich: Fresh baguette that is crusty on on the outside and soft inside and home grown sweet tomato. Without these two it just doesn't make it for me. Once I have that, the rest is simple: some combo of turkey + ham and roast beef, plus mayo, pickle and mustard and I am done :).

Not a fan of using white sliced bread for anything. The only exception is rye bread which I like with corn beef and such with some mustard.

Rye is the standard for me when making a sandwich using mustard. Deli cuts, such as Roast Beef, Pastrami, Montreal Smoked Meat and the like are what I use with a good fresh Rye Bread in those cases. The French Baguette or Italian Crusty Loaf is my preference for most everything else, with one exception, which is the grilled cheese sandwich. To me this should be done on plain sliced white bread with the most god-awful processed cheese, buttered on both sides. Don't give me any of those new fancy grilled cheese sandwich recipes. I pretty much feel the same way about Mac 'n Cheese. LOL!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Pastrami, cornbeef, cole slaw and russian dressing on fresh rye.

that's my usual order at Langer's in LA (ok, so its not exactly like Katz's or the Carnegie deli you guys have in ny) we've got diversity in So Cal like the Mexican torta (you haven't lived until you've had a pork shoulder sandwich with a bottom layer of refried beans!). the Vietnamese Bánh mì on a crusty French baguette is big out here (I like mine with chinese char siu or kicked up saigon-style Pâté). one of my recent discoveries is Lebanese shish tawook wrapped in a flat bread (w/ that amazing garlic sauce).

Spanish bocadillos probably top the list for me. very simple sandwiches with Spanish chorizo or ham and cheese (or that insane preserved sardine or tuna) and a glass of chilled white rioja and i'm in heaven. I couldn't stop eating these in Barcelona.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
With my sandwich (post #10) I usually add olives (Spain: stuffed manzanilla with pimento paste) on the side. ...And sometimes cottage cheese.
...And the best potato chips: Lay's.

Drink? ...A large glass of ice cold Root Beer (A&W), with pure ice cubes. ...Or/and I also love Cream Soda.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Pastrami, cornbeef, cole slaw and russian dressing on fresh rye.

I'll have what he's having!

An alternative protein would be turkey breast (REAL turkey breast, not the ground up garbage stuck together with transglutaminase) sometimes with one of the brown and/or seeded mustards.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Iberian ham, roasted pimentos, aoli on crusty bread

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Jeez guys, that's for a quick & simple sandwich. ...About a real sandwich, with all labor of love, time, dedication, and top of the best? :D

Moose sandwich? :b ...The fresh one you got after returning from your hunting trip.
Fresh Salmon sandwich would do too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing