ENCORE DL2010a preamplifier

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hi Chaps,

I am looking for the Encore DL2010a preamp's owners manual & schematics.

Encore was a Kansas City company founded by two Honeywell aerospace engineers in the late 1980's, Garic Laughlin and Michael Fessler. There were many prototype versions of the DL2010, all were state of the art at the time. This version was the best and last version that Daric Laughlin produced.

Best regards,

Horacio

Attachments

• Encore_3.jpg
    Encore_3.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Encore_1_resize.jpg
    Encore_1_resize.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Encore_2_resize.jpg
    Encore_2_resize.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

musiclover49

Jun 25, 2021
Hi Chaps,

I am looking for the Encore DL2010a preamp's owners manual & schematics.

Encore was a Kansas City company founded by two Honeywell aerospace engineers in the late 1980's, Garic Laughlin and Michael Fessler. There were many prototype versions of the DL2010, all were state of the art at the time. This version was the best and last version that Daric Laughlin produced.

Best regards,

Horacio
Hello Horacio,

I have recently acquired an Encore DL2010.2b preamp with a MM/MC phono input and board. I have been rolling tubes into this unit. GE 5751 Triple mica gray plate 12AX7 tubes in V3 & V4 and Sylvania 7025 type 12AX7 in V1 & V2 tube sockets. I bought it with RCA NOS 12AX7 tubes in V3 & V4 along with Psvane 12AX7 tubes in V1 & V2 positions. I purchased online and also don't have an owner's manual or schematics. I have been trying to find contact info for the founders Daric Laughlin & Michael Fessler to no avail yet. My search has Daric Laughlin at Honeywell but Michael Fessler has retired. I noticed your post was from August 2020, have you had any luck in acquiring any documentation? If so I would love to have a copy of any official information that you may have attained since your last post! I have hum in the phono input which I'm trying to resolve but otherwise excellent fidelity at all of the other outputs. Also curious as to which tubes you're using and if your unit has a phono section and input. Wondering as well if you've had any operational issues?

Thanks and happy listening,

Paul

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hello Horacio,

I have recently acquired an Encore DL2010.2b preamp with a MM/MC phono input and board. I have been rolling tubes into this unit. GE 5751 Triple mica gray plate 12AX7 tubes in V3 & V4 and Sylvania 7025 type 12AX7 in V1 & V2 tube sockets. I bought it with RCA NOS 12AX7 tubes in V3 & V4 along with Psvane 12AX7 tubes in V1 & V2 positions. I purchased online and also don't have an owner's manual or schematics. I have been trying to find contact info for the founders Daric Laughlin & Michael Fessler to no avail yet. My search has Daric Laughlin at Honeywell but Michael Fessler has retired. I noticed your post was from August 2020, have you had any luck in acquiring any documentation? If so I would love to have a copy of any official information that you may have attained since your last post! I have hum in the phono input which I'm trying to resolve but otherwise excellent fidelity at all of the other outputs. Also curious as to which tubes you're using and if your unit has a phono section and input. Wondering as well if you've had any operational issues?

Thanks and happy listening,

Paul
Hi Paul,

I never bought an Encore preamplifier, I was looking for the owners manual-schematics before purchasing one. I did try to find either Laughlin or Fester but to no avail. I think that you should take your unit to an EE or get rid of it, you are spending too much time trying to fix your preamp and not being able to enjoy the music. Just my two cents.

All the best.

Horacio

musiclover49

Jun 25, 2021
Hello Horacio,

Thanks for your quick response! Yes I made a risky decision to buy the Encore preamp. I should have made sure that I had documentation as I've typically done for all other audio purchases prior to buying. I have located a repair facility with schematics that is familiar with this unit who believes this singular issue is either repairable or that the Phono/Aux2 input can be easily reconfigured to a regular line input and I can use my phono preamp at this input.
YES you are absolutely correct, if this is cost prohibitive, I'll sell it and move on. I have to admit that I do like the sound quality of this hybrid tube preamp but there are others with documentation available without the hassles.
Agreed enjoying the music is what it's all about.

Best regards,

Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing